Behind closed doors: Healing

At Any Other Woman, you can talk about anything. Anything you want at all. Any subject, any time. We are proud to be able to provide that platform for you, it makes our hearts sing. But we do understand that sometimes there are topics that are too sensitive, too divisive, simply too hard to write about and broadcast without a second thought. No-one wants to hurt their loved ones unnecessarily and yet sometimes a story needs to be told.

This is your place for those subjects. A place for you to tell those tales you’d not considered telling before. No names, no justifications, no apologies.

You can send your BCD submissions tobehindcloseddoors@live.co.uk and we promise that you’ll remain anonymous throughout the entire process.

Just over three years ago my boyfriend of a decade sat down in front of me – the man I lived with, the man who’d told me we would be engaged very soon – and told me he didn’t want our relationship anymore. What he did want, I found out afterwards, was the woman he’d been having an affair with

There’s nothing that can prepare you for that moment. The weird calm where you’re dividing your things up and breaking apart two lives, the next moment filled with so much confusion and anger for his cowardice, for his lies. Going from being a part of someone’s life, of talking to them everyday to…nothing. I pretty much sleep walked (slept walked?!?) my way through the next 12 months. The utter loneliness of going from a relationship to being single, the constant overtime I took on so I wouldn’t have time to think, sheer exhaustion through constantly waking up at 4am. It all came to a head almost a year later when I realised I was thinking far too seriously, and far too often, about ending it all

I needed a change. So I left. I took on my biggest challenge ever and headed away on what would be 18 months of hard work, adventure and (cheese alert) finding myself.

I still had moments where I thought about the past, where I grieved for what had happened and wondered just where it all went wrong…even moments where I felt utterly sorry for myself and hated the fact that he had waltzed off, seemingly blissfully happy, to a new life while I was left to pick up the pieces, to doubt everything and to have to contemplate just how the heck I start again

But you know what, out of sight, out of mind, and slowly but surely I was healing. Helped by my wonderful friends, old and new. Helped by starting to discover that, on my own, I did have a lot of great qualities and I started to like myself

Returning to the UK wasn’t the scary home-coming that I thought it would be. It wasn’t an assault to the senses and a reminder of the past. It really felt like a new start. A new home in a new place. Somewhere with absolutely no memories. Then recently I got hit by some potentially scary health news. Time (and tests) will tell what the next step is.

I don’t know what to think. On the surface I’m doing fine, but I can feel the old self doubt coming back. Sometimes, when it’s late and I’m tired, I get the little ‘why me’ voice. I try to silence it, ‘why not me’, but it’s really hard. And it’s times like this when the loneliness returns. My friends are wonderful, they truly are, but they are no substitute for the one person that knows you best, who is part of your team. Who is there in the middle of the night, or offering you security. I miss that. Not him. That. I get scared I’ll never have that again, I’m still too nervous of rejection to seriously start dating, I am scared of what the next few months hold healthwise, but every now and then I look back at what I’ve achieved over the last three years, things I never even imagined and I let myself think, “I’ll be ok.”

It’s all about one step at a time, right?

Categories: Behind Closed Doors, Infidelity

1. Posted July 14, 2014 at 2:17 pm | Permalink

Just wanted to send strength and love to this writer.

2. Beth
    Posted July 14, 2014 at 7:01 pm | Permalink

Keep doing what you’re doing, one foot after the other. It sounds like you’ve shown great strength already in some very tough times. Build on this and, while it’s sometimes hard, ask for help when it all feels too much. X

• ChirstyMac
      Posted July 15, 2014 at 8:16 am | Permalink

Realise I’m a day late to this but: /\ /\ /\ Yes – what Beth said /\ /\ /\

Too often, really shit times happen to really lovely undeserving people. To us all. And there are a million ways of trying to look at things to make it seem better or more manageable. But end of the day you plough on through as best you can. The longest, hardest journeys are all made of one step at a time. The only thing you have to do is to keep on stepping. Much love. X

3. Posted July 16, 2014 at 5:28 am | Permalink

Huge hugs to you. You sound amazing and really strong.

I totally get the fear of rejection thing. After my divorce, I was terrified of ever being that vulnerable again. In many ways I still am. I’m in a new relationship now but am still anxious about what might happen or what he could do to hurt me. The only thing that keeps me sane is promising myself I won’t make my boyfriend suffer for my ex’s mistakes. It’s hard though!!! Best of luck to you – one step at a time is all it takes xx

4. Sarah
    Posted July 20, 2014 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Also just want to send love & hugs to the writer. You sound like an amazingly brave & strong woman. I hope the health scare turns out ok. Thanks for sharing your story with us. X

5. Amanda M
    Posted July 22, 2014 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

Fabulous post!

I have 2 x twopennarth worth:

1) He was not on your team. He just wore the colours but he wasn’t really on your team. One day someone will be and you’ll know.

2) I read “cheese alert” and thought you’d taken time off to work with, er, cheese. Which means I’m frighteningly literal and/or a cheese lover and/or hungry. Apologies.