{IWD2014} Find What You Love

By Anna K

Love freely.  Find the good in others. Tell them what you find.  Leave people feeling a little taller than when you found them.  People will remember you if you make them recognise the good in themselves.

Don’t fear failure.  It will come, and it will feel like the world has ended, and then it will pass and you will have survived.  Fear of failure, of looking like a fool, is what stops us achieving, and going beyond ourselves.  Meet failure head on.  Shrug it off.  It’s smaller than you.

Similarly, when you’ve made a mistake, and believe me you will, put your hand up and admit it.  Even if it’s a really, really bad one.   There is nothing more insidious than someone who blames their mistakes on circumstance, or on others.  People will respect you far more if you step forward, and look for a way to fix the problem.  Even better, with time, you’ll respect yourself.  Your mistakes can become your opportunities.

There is no “the one“, and it’s a dangerous idea to suggest that there is.  Partner, job, wedding dress, decision.  The world is full of choice, and opportunity.  Listen to your instinct.  Trust yourself to know what choices feel right to you.  Have the courage to choose.  You cannot choose wrongly. In all big decisions, make the most of whatever choice you made and don’t pine over “what if“.

Don’t spend inordinate amounts of time forcing yourself to improve what you’re bad at.  Cut your losses.  Find what you are good at, naturally.  Find what comes to you without effort.  Find what you love.   It might not be what you always wanted it to be, but it’s there, within you.  It might take you years, but find it.  Spend your time doing that, practicing that, nurturing that, sharing that gift, and become extraordinary.

Categories: International Women's Day, Written By Anna

1. Posted March 7, 2014 at 4:41 pm | Permalink

This is another one for printing I think x

• Katie
      Posted March 7, 2014 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Agree! Wise words Anna.

2. Katielase
    Posted March 7, 2014 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

Gah, amazing! I am tattooing the final paragraph on the inside of my skull.

KL x

3. Posted March 7, 2014 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

‘Failure is smaller than you’. Best quote possibly of the day, possibly ever. I need to be reminded of this regularly.

4. Posted March 7, 2014 at 6:50 pm | Permalink

There is no “the one”…have the courage to choice.
    Brilliant, so true x

5. Posted March 7, 2014 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

I wish somebody had told me the last paragraph when I was younger. I’m not sure I still really follow it properly now, even though I know it’s true.

That first paragraph is you Anna K. That’s exactly what I think of when I think of you.

• Posted March 9, 2014 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Penny, that’s an incredible thing to say to someone. Thank you so much.

6. Lexie
    Posted March 8, 2014 at 8:01 am | Permalink

Wise, wise words.

7. Rach M
    Posted March 8, 2014 at 9:06 am | Permalink

You always make me taller. Brilliant advice x

8. Posted March 9, 2014 at 6:33 am | Permalink

“There is no “the one“ “, so so true. Might sound shallow, but applied to the wedding dress, the moment I realized that there was not “one” dress, but more than 10 that I liked (if only I could have found them at the time), and that that was OK. And that the dress I chose is special because of it, because it’s the dress I got married in. (And so goes for other decisions… choose and trust your choice).

” Find what you love. It might not be what you always wanted it to be, but it’s there, within you. It might take you years, but find it. Spend your time doing that, practicing that, nurturing that, sharing that gift, and become extraordinary.” (Yes, yes, yes. )