Weekend Wonderings

When I first heard of this project I was a bit sceptical, it seemed a bit self-involved, and perhaps a bit smug and show-offy. I will hold my hand up and admit… I was wrong. It is, in fact, supremely lovely. I’m sure some people do use it to show-off, but for me it’s not about that, not at all. Not to mention that no-one would be likely to be jealous of the mundane nonsense that makes me smile. At the start I was worried that I would struggle to find something in every day that made me happy. Don’t get me wrong, I am very happy with my life, but I considered myself happy because I had some key big things that made me happy, i.e. the aforementioned husband, a lovely family. I’d forgotten the value of the little things in life.

So far, my struggle has actually been choosing which happy thing to pick each day. When you’re looking for them, there are so many tiny gestures, so many little moments that give you joy. It’s so easy to rush past them, to not stop and notice each one as it comes. Trying to take part in this has forced me to stop and pay attention to them, and to revel in the little things that make me smile. I can’t argue with that.

It’s so important to hold onto the little moments in life. Read this, and smile.

Categories: Weekend Wonderings

1. Posted February 8, 2014 at 11:37 am | Permalink

Paying more attention to the little things definitely makes life happier. Every time I remember to do it I feel my heart life. I even keep a gratitude diary which at first felt contrived but now never fails to make me appreciate all I have. Will have to check out this project…

2. Posted February 8, 2014 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

This sounds lovely

3. Posted February 8, 2014 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

I had seen a few people on Facebook putting pictures on and labelling them 100 happy days, but I didn’t know what the idea was behind it!

Sounds like a good idea to enjoy the little things each day, so I will be signing up and trying to stick with it! I like the idea of it being anything at all, rather than a particular prompt!

4. Posted February 8, 2014 at 7:23 pm | Permalink

I love the idea of this, thanks for sharing. Have bookmarked it to start on Monday. What a lovely way to appreciate life!

5. Mira
    Posted February 10, 2014 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

I tried this for a while (20 or so days) but found that when the things that made me happiest were actually happening, I wasn’t thinking about taking a photo; I was enjoying the happy thing! I ended up taking a lot of photos of stuff in my immediate vicinity as I slobbed out on the couch in the evening. Not really the things that make me happiest!

6. Posted March 4, 2014 at 10:15 am | Permalink

I’m halfway through my 100 happy days and am finding it so lovely to do that I’m considering doing 200 happy days, or maybe 300, or 400 … Like you, it’s making me pay more attention and appreciate the little things.

I saw a tweet the other day that was basically slagging off 100 happy days, saying how show-offy and trite it is, and it made me worry that that was what I’m doing, without meaning too. Which felt rubbish because I’ve been loving it. So thank you for writing this as a reminder that it’s OK to feel the way I do about it!