Any Other Photo ~ The Husband Edition {Gareth and Katie}

An AOP by a MAN. (We know you love those). An AOP by a MAN married to our very own Katielase. (We know you love her, too.) An AOP that’s actually an AOPs….Any Other Photos. Yes, it’s against the rules. Gareth’s a rebel, obviously. And yet we’ll let him away with it because OH THE LOVELINESS.

Happy Friday, lovely AOWers.

I’ve been promising to write this post for months – pretty much as soon as Katie wrote hers. So here it is!

Katie has already written about the joy of the day, about how when the ‘man and wife’ moment came all we could do was grin at each other, and she has written it all so much better than I ever could. And anyway, her ‘demented monkey’ face, pretty much says it all better than ANYONE could ever write it!

So, I wanted to go for a slightly different angle. And controversially, I’ve gone for two photos because they both mean very different things to me. I hope that’s not breaking too many rules but it is what I’m going to do anyway.

After the wedding ceremony itself and after we left the church, came the calm of just me, Katie and the photographer for a few peaceful minutes – occasionally interspersed with Katie saying ‘God, I’m so hungry!’ but I can forgive her that! We’d done all the ‘arriving’ (kiss her UNDER the veil? What? Why? I’d just lift it up? Why would I get under it? This is stupid. Oh if I must…) photos and had sauntered into the hotel to look for appropriate places to get a photo. And the ONLY photo both Katie and I wanted was the one below – and that’s what makes me love it. Both of us just KNEW that it was the photo the other person wanted without even asking. I don’t think we even really looked at each other – just walked into the room and ‘bing!’ the lights went on in both our minds. And isn’t that what marriage is about – those moments of joy when you know you’re both thinking and wanting the same thing and don’t even have to talk about it, you just do it. And I don’t mean that! Get your mind out of the gutter… Every time I look at this photo it makes me smile and wonder that I married such a wonderful woman that even on her wedding day not only sat to take this photo, made sure she picked a book she could actually read and drifted off for 5 minutes!! I grabbed the first one I came too and it probably shows in my face – a book about agriculture in the 18th century…

By the supremely excellent Andrew Dobell

The second photo I wanted to talk about is probably the one that means the most to me. Yes the day was fantastic but what it really symbolises is family. Out of two lovely families (and I think we’ve both lucked out on the in-law front, although I think Katie’s parents possibly drew the short straw, especially how often they have to feed us…), we’ve both joined those families and we’ve created our own family unit (no, that isn’t a veiled announcement of any kind), something both part of and separate from those families. I’m not an emotionally expressive man as a rule, and I probably don’t talk to my family as much as I should, but family means so much to me, even just knowing that its there, that its amazing to me that I’ve been welcomed by another family that has been so good to me and has come to mean as much as my own. And knowing that my family feel the same about Katie is equally special.

So there you have it – I have a wife that adores books so much that she’ll happily stop her wedding day for a quick read (and I love her for that!) and I now have not one (my own), not two (Katie’s parents) but three (Katie and I) families that feel as if they’ve always been there. And that, if nothing else, is a miracle.

Categories: Any Other Photo

1. Posted October 4, 2013 at 7:10 am | Permalink

I KNEW IT! I knew I knew which photo The Photo was before you even said the word “book”. Marvellous. You guys are the best. And don’t your parents scrub up marvelously?

• Posted October 4, 2013 at 7:28 am | Permalink

Me too!!!! It is the picture formally known as THE BEST WEDDING PHOTO EVER IN HISTORY!

I have our ‘parents’ pic stuck on our fridge (in a magnetic frame!) and I also love how its just one big happy family.

• Posted October 4, 2013 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Ditto! And how I love that picture, you guys are fabulous. What a lovely start to a Friday morning to read these wonderful words from G xx

2. Posted October 4, 2013 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Amazing! Ah we love Gareth and Katielase :)

…goes to pester my Mr to submit an AOP…

x

3. Caroline
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 7:58 am | Permalink

That is the best wedding photo of all time ever.
    I’m in awe…it just keeps getting more amazing everytime I look at it.
    Alas I fear my husbands AOP would be the one where you can see the most of my cleavage. And they say romance is dead x

4. rachel JHD
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Wonderful heart warming thoughts to start a wet Friday, I shall mull, & feel thankful, on of both these today. Happy Friday everybody.

5. Fee
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 8:11 am | Permalink

Eeeee! That sums up my feelings.

As I just said to K on Twitter, I’m totally superimposing my face and T’s face onto the library pic.

I adore K and now I have some rather strong feelings for G. Thankfully you like nearby so I can stalk yourl my heart’s content. Lovely!

6. Posted October 4, 2013 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Love, love, LOVE this!! And love you two. That is, without doubt, the wedding photo to end all wedding photos. xx

7. Zan
    Posted October 4, 2013 at 10:30 am | Permalink

I love the book photo! Loved it the first time I saw it and still love it. It’s EPIC. And what a great post…! Gareth should write more :)

8. Posted October 4, 2013 at 2:59 pm | Permalink

In case anyone’s interested I was reading The Pursuit of Love by Nancy Mitford. It was pretty good.

Obviously I love this, although not HALF as much as I love G.

KL xx

• Posted October 4, 2013 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

PS: never in my life seen someone look so entirely bemused as Gareth when Andrew asked him to get UNDER my veil and kiss me. In fact there’s a photo in which we’re just giggling rather than kissing.

• rachel JHD
      Posted October 4, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Perfect book for a wedding day, or any day reading in a glorious library. Looks like a lovely old edition too.

9. Posted October 4, 2013 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

Go Gareth go!! Great AOW post!

10. Posted October 6, 2013 at 12:51 pm | Permalink

I actually loved this when I read it on Friday but could not post a comment for a lot of reasons, but here it is

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS POST AND THESE PHOTOS.

11. Em
    Posted October 18, 2013 at 8:04 pm | Permalink

this is so Gareth. It’s hilarious!