ANY OTHER PHOTO ~ the husband edition {ALAN AND FRANCES}

Today’s AOP would win Most Adorable in the 2013 Any Other Photo Awards. (Which I totally think should be a thing, except I would undoubtedly come up with a category for every.single.picture and everyone would win.)

Frances’ own AOP was the perfect example of quiet, thoughtful beauty captured with no pretence or agenda – just two people, so in love. Alan’s is exactly the same, which goes to show how wonderful they are together.

Happy weekend, readers.

I’ve been meaning to sit down and write an Any Other Photo ever since Frances submitted hers, but the rollercoaster of life moves quickly and distractions have come thick and fast.

The photo that I’ve chosen is the “you may now kiss the bride” shot (although they never said those words exactly, but we knew our cue!). Not only does it bring me great joy to see the moment that we were married so neatly captured, but it reminds me of everything that I am proud of about our wedding day.

Our hands are firmly clasped together. We planned this wedding as a team, and ever since have said how much we enjoyed the journey almost as much as the day itself. From the moment that Frances arrived at the Church, looking stunning and beaming from ear to ear, I grabbed hold of her and barely let go throughout the ceremony. We were a team beforehand, and will be a team forever after – but this was the day that we symbolised that in front of loved ones.

Beautiful photograph by Ross Holkham

We both look so calm. Neither of us likes to be the focus of a room full of people, and I’d privately feared ending up stood at the front, shaking like a leaf. But when the day came I couldn’t have been more at ease. When I look at this photo I see how relaxed we both look, and it brings back the sense of radiating joy that I felt, helped by the look of genuine happiness on the faces of Frances’ parents and the satisfied beams from the vicar and the rabbi looking on!

Finally, Frances is kissing me tenderly on the nose. We’d talked about doing the kiss this way, although I didn’t think that we’d actually be coordinated enough to manage it! Seeing it is a reminder of two things: that we managed to pull off the wedding of our dreams and that we did it in our way.

From many photos that I could have chosen, this is the one that brings the biggest smile to my face and reminds me of everything that I have to be excited about with our future together.

Categories: Any Other Photo

1. Posted October 25, 2013 at 9:08 am | Permalink

Yay for another AOP husband edition, I love, love, love them.

This one is absolutely beautiful. Such a tender moment beautifully captured. Also, Frances, I absolutely love the dress!! And a lovely write-up from Alan. All-in-all a fab AOP :) xx

2. Bex (GingerBee)
    Posted October 25, 2013 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Wow! I didn’t think I could love Alan any more after the Elmer cake. I was wrong. Gorgeous!

3. Posted October 25, 2013 at 9:59 am | Permalink

Well first of all, gorgeous.
    I really get the sense from your blog that you two pull everything together and are a real team, and its lovely that you can see it and describe it so well in this photo. I also love, like Aisling says, the similarities in your choices. You guys know what was most important to you both and just did it. Love it. Xx

4. Posted October 25, 2013 at 1:26 pm | Permalink

I love that Alan chose this photo – it’s one of my favourites too – but although it is similar to my choice I love this one for completely different reasons to Alan. My eye goes straight to my parents, standing to my side – my mother (in her gorgeous hat I really need to find an occasion to borrow for) beaming at something or someone unseen, and my father, his eyes undoubtedly to the front but with a face that betrays the happiness I wasn’t expecting him to show. I asked my parents to walk me down the aisle together – very specifically not to give me away, but to allow them to know that I appreciate them both so much for making me the person I am today.

We did plan the wedding mainly as a couple because that’s the way we tackle life, but to see my parents so happy on the day is something that means more to me than I could ever have known.

5. Posted October 25, 2013 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

What a lovely & uplifting AOP. Being part of a team is just the best.

6. Posted October 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm | Permalink

This is just lovely.

7. Posted October 28, 2013 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Aww, thank you for all of the lovely comments :)