Any Other Photo {Alison and Patrick}

I’m sure I’ve said this before, but it’s  worth repeating. I can’t cope when grown men cry. I just can’t. If I’d walked up the aisle to a sobbing, albeit happily, Phil, I would have had a minor nervous breakdown. So Alison’s AOP fills me with a kind of joy and admiration that makes me all warm and tingly. What a lucky pair she and her husband are, to have each other.

I’ve mulled over my AOP for a while now since our wedding in October 2011 and it’s surprised me that this is the one I keep coming back to.

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. There are hundreds of photos of us on our wedding day grinning like loons, dabbing away tears, laughing, posing, eating, celebrating and dancing. They all speak for themselves and tell the story of our wonderful special day. But this photo, this one needs an explanation.

So like most brides I’d pictured walking down the aisle a million times. I wantedto smile (because I’m paranoid my natural face can look quite serious) and look (and smile) at everyone in the room and take it all in. I didn’t want to cry but if my eyes were moist then that would be ok. I couldn’t wait to see my
handsome husband to be and knew the standard nervous bride advice was to focuson him and it would all be ok. I knew he’d be smiling and looking forward toseeing me. I wasn’t nervous, just excited. But when my dad and I walked into the room, the first person I saw was my husband to be – crying. Practically sobbing in fact. This was not expected.

To explain, this is not something this man does. It’s only the second time I’ve ever seen him cry (the first was when we watched the film Up – fair enough). I immediately focused on him and tried to tell him with my eyes that it was ok, whatever he was feeling was ok and I was ok and we were ok and it was all going to be OK. I’m not sure a stare can convey all that but I tried. So we reached the end of the aisle and my husband to be composed himself, told me I look fab and I joked, “well I made an effort”, to try and ease the tension and make him laugh…and snap! the photographer captures this moment.

Which is why my head is tilted back at that weird angle, why my husband is grinning away at me and why I have to explain what’s going on in this photograph to everyone. There. Explained in under 400 words. And a wonderful, unique wedding moment captured forever.

Categories: Any Other Photo, Uncategorized

1. Carly
    Posted August 2, 2013 at 9:25 am | Permalink

This is so lovely. What a way to calm his nerves!

X

• Alison
      Posted August 2, 2013 at 9:31 am | Permalink

Thank you! And thank you for being the first to comment-I’ve been nervously checking since 8am! You can’t see a trace of his tears in this pic but they were there!

2. Hayley
    Posted August 2, 2013 at 9:37 am | Permalink

What a lovely story with a great photo. I think personal anecdotes make photos like this come alive and you will remember this years and years in the future – and be able to recall exactly how you were feeling on that day.

3. Posted August 2, 2013 at 9:45 am | Permalink

I want to say well done! I think if I arrive to D bawling his eyes out I may lose it… Your approach was awesome. And you look gorgeous. Xx

4. Bex (GingerBee)
    Posted August 2, 2013 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Such an amazing photo!! And I second Katy’s comment! If I’d seen T crying I wouldn’t have been able to cope! Just shows what a strong team you guys are!

5. Gwen
    Posted August 2, 2013 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Great story! You look so happy!

6. PiriyaP
    Posted August 2, 2013 at 11:44 am | Permalink

This is so lovely. Such a tender moment that shows how much you must be made for each other!

PS: Am I the only one that would secretly be pleased if OH was crying as I walked up the aisle? Just me? Ok.

• Bex (GingerBee)
      Posted August 2, 2013 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Not just you at all! I’d be secretly pleased but also not be able to cope. I’d probably have stopped moving in confusion!!!

7. Posted August 2, 2013 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous story, making me all teary! Especially at the “it was ok, whatever he was feeling was ok and I was ok and we were ok and it was all going to be OK”. You sound like a really strong couple.

8. Elsie
    Posted August 2, 2013 at 1:45 pm | Permalink

Such a lovely story to go with the photo. I love how everyone is full on grinning.
    Up gets me crying every time too!

9. Morwenna
    Posted August 2, 2013 at 2:18 pm | Permalink

Aww, just lovely!

10. Katie
    Posted August 2, 2013 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

The only time I’ve ever seen my fiance cry was while watching Up (apparently a bit of dust from the DVD case had got caught in his eye *ahem*) – let’s just hope that’s not set a precedent, no idea what I’d do if I walked down the aisle and found him too emotional!

11. Alison
    Posted August 2, 2013 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Thank you all soooo much for your lovely comments. I was so nervous sending this in, never done anything like this before but you’ve all been so properly lovely. I promise to try my very best (five-month-old son notwithstanding) to comment on AOP’s and other posts in the future because it’s been so nice to read other people’s kind comments on our photo and my words.

I can confirm I did secretly want Patrick to get emotional but really wasn’t expecting it – was a lovely surprise and me being a bit silly and telling a joke and laughing really set the tone for the rest of our lovely humanist service – relaxed with lots and lots of laughter :-)