Three months

In twelve short weeks, this baby…

…has become this baby!

Slightly blurry, because she is Always Moving.

Every evening as I kiss her squidgy cheek goodnight, I feel a little sad. It’s like saying goodbye to someone you’ve just met but fallen completely in love with. She changes so fast and learns something new every day – the day she smiled for the first time I actually cried when we put her to bed because we’d never have that ‘first smile day’ again. And then we sleep (or not) and when we wake I am unutterably excited for what the day will bring, for what she will learn today. With babies, I have learnt, you need to be all about today.

********************

Tuesday saw Anna and I road-trip to Cheltenham to catch up with our International Represenative and Founding Father and the gorgeous Lucy too. Not to mention Any Other Toddler, hilariously excellent Emmi. Topics of conversation in the car included childbirth, hallucinogenic drugs and plot lines for Anna’s upcoming novel. When Emmi cracked out her flash cards, no doubt hoping for an education-meets-play session with her mum, this happened -

I tweeted this on Tuesday - it became my most favourited tweet ever. Brilliant.

Monday (I appear to be working backwards through my week…) was spent at my parents house. My grandparents flew in from Ireland to meet Stella and it.was.amazing. During dinner, my auntie took Stella for a dander around the table so that Phil and I could eat using both our hands – a rare occurence! She stopped at the head of the table to chat to my mum, who was seated beside Bernard, my grandpa. The raucous chatter of my brothers and cousins slowly died down as we all turned to see where the deep, rumbly noise was coming from.

Bernard meets Stella

As my mum and auntie nattered, Stella stared at Bernard with an intensity that I’ve genuinely not seen from her before. He gazed back for a few seconds and then began to talk to her in Gaelic, telling her the story of Finn MacCool and the Giant’s Causeway. She was fascinated. As the table fell silent and everyone watched the oldest and the newest members of the family forge a strong and beautiful bond, I cried. As did my mum, my grandma and my auntie… Clearly my lack of emotional control is a genetic thing.

We also managed (just about) to get a picture of the four generations of women in our family, just as we did with the Alsopps a few weeks ago, when Stella met Stella…

When Stella met Stella – and slept through the entire thing

********************

Plans for the AOW Race for Life in July are coming together – if you expressed interest in the comments or emailed me, you can expect an email this weekend with all the details. I’m pretty sure it’s going to be astounding. You blew us away with your response and I cannot wait to see you all!

Categories: Any Other Baby, Family, Friends and Relationships, Written By Aisling

1. Vivienne
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 7:09 am | Permalink

Three months already…..don’t you wish you could do every day over? It truly does go far too fast.

Beautiful pics as always, Stella looks very wise and full of mischief at the same time

2. Posted May 2, 2013 at 7:30 am | Permalink

*Sheepishly* Is it wrong the main thing I took from this post is ‘I really want skin like Aisling!’?

• Chirsty
      Posted May 2, 2013 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Oh the glowy radiance! Jealous much!!
      No doubt at all from the photos: Stella is cultivating much same such glowy gorgeousness.
      What an wonderfully uplifting Thursday post X

3. Leni
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 7:38 am | Permalink

So….. I very nearly cried just reading about the Finn MacCool story! Must pull myself together. You write so beautifully Aisling and it sounds like you and Stella are having a ball.

p.s. which sort of childrens educational toy company use Cock for “C”? What happened to Cow or Carrot?

xx

• Posted May 2, 2013 at 8:05 am | Permalink

Yes. To both of these.

I want my dad to have a ‘Finn moment’ so much now!

4. Posted May 2, 2013 at 7:42 am | Permalink

Oh would you look at her. I cannot imagine Freddie being like that, it kind of blows my mind! She is so gorgeous, Aisling.

5. Liz
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 8:10 am | Permalink

Love it, What a cutie! and you look Amazing! We celebrated 6 months yesterday, has absolutely flown by. Then today, obviously to prove she is now a proper grown up, Tessa has decided that she knows how to crawl! It all happens so quickly!!

• Vivienne
      Posted May 2, 2013 at 8:18 am | Permalink

It’s very scary – Toby is 24 weeks and just mastered sitting up but last week he was no where near it…..We have to practice to achieve but they can just do it! Amazing little humans

• Liz
        Posted May 2, 2013 at 11:56 am | Permalink

Vivienne, sitting up happened last week for us, crazy how they just suddenly get it!

• Liz
      Posted May 2, 2013 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I know, we probably should have thought about baby proofing before now- oops! Bank holiday job!

6. Posted May 2, 2013 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Oh how beautiful :)

7. Fran M
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 9:49 am | Permalink

The best thing about this is that you’re cherishing every moment. It looks like a wonderful experience. Getting ever so slightly broody.

Also: Aisling please say your skin is not natural radiance and that I can buy this in a bottle – yes?

8. Rach M
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Utterly wonderful. Xx

Ps Aisling you look AMAZING.

9. Posted May 2, 2013 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Echoing general awe of your facial deliciousness, A.

Would like to know of an eight foot cock that ISN’T big??

Every one of your posts, tweets and pictures gets me just a wee bit more excited about meeting Robocop Alfonso Horatio Smyth…. just wonderful.

• Posted May 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm | Permalink

Yes – an eight foot cock is certainly going to be big!

You look amazing. And how wonderful to have four generations on both sides of the family – what a blessing x

10. Posted May 2, 2013 at 1:02 pm | Permalink

I’m just so in love with Stella. Also, totally echoing the ridiculous gorgeousness of Aisling comments. Glowy skin, sexy hair. Although not as amazing as Stella’s hair, which is probably the best thing I have ever seen.

11. Posted May 2, 2013 at 1:08 pm | Permalink

So I’d convinced myself that I didn’t want to have a baby any time soon.
    Then I read your post. Darn it.

• Becca
      Posted May 6, 2013 at 10:12 am | Permalink

Totes same.

Will.not.get.broody. Will.not.get.broody.

DAMN IT

12. Sharon
    Posted May 2, 2013 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

So this just made me cry at my desk, everyone should have a Grandpa Bernard. Stella is such a beaut, and Aisling, as everyone has said, your skin is amazing. Please tell us the skin secret can be bought at Boots x

13. Posted May 2, 2013 at 1:53 pm | Permalink

Aww – so gorgeous! :-) Also, now off to Boots to ask for “whatever it is that make Aisling’s skin that amazing” – they stock that, right?

14. Posted May 2, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Ladies, THANK YOU so much! You’ve all made my day. Apparently, recommending pregnancy as a way to get great skin, hair and nails is irresponsible…but it’s all I’ve got!

I’m off to watch Stella watching Hawaii 5-0 like it’s the best of Disney…

15. Posted May 2, 2013 at 8:44 pm | Permalink

Ohh the oldest member of the family meeting the youngest and the story telling, my heart melts…

16. Posted May 3, 2013 at 6:17 am | Permalink

Another vote for how wonderful the old-meets-young story is. Wonderful, and I had a small tear in my eye reading it (I blame having a 4 week old, the hormones are still all over the place). Gorgeous.

And after a rough few days, thanks for the reminder that every day is another day I dont get again. I needed to be reminded of that, for all the days I feel like a bad mother because its just so hard at this stage.

• Vivienne
      Posted May 4, 2013 at 9:56 pm | Permalink

One day it just clicks….and suddenly you have a 6 month old! It will get better – but don’t be afraid to ask for help if you need it. Always around on twitter if you need to chat @aliitlewife