International Women’s Day: All the Things

We’re lucky, aren’t we? Yes, things are still not great for us as women, living in the developed world, in 2013, but hell, we’re so much better off than our predecessors in so many ways. We all love Bex, and here is just one more reason to love her – she is reminding us of how lucky we are, and what we, as women of 2013, can do. Over to Bex:

What being a woman means to me?  Being able to do ALL THE THINGS…

Horse-riding

Diving

Camel Riding

Bungy Jumping

Parasailing

Skydiving

Surfing

Photography

Abseiling

Clay pigeon shooting

Sailing

4-wheel driving

Hiking (and falling over!)

Travelling

Mud Volcano bathing!

Riding an elephant

Driving a speedboat

Trapeze

Cocktail mixing

Glamming it up!

Being a friend and wife

Posing

Domestic goddess

I love that I can do all of these things, on top of being a professional woman with a career (I don’t have any photos of that!).  I don’t HAVE to do any of them and I don’t even have to be good at them all, but I can have a go at anything I fancy.  I am so grateful to those women before me who campaigned for equality which has made this possible.  I know there are many areas where equality still hasn’t made it and there definitely needs to be change, but look how far we’ve come, back in the day it would have been unheard of for a woman to do most of the above, in fact any of them bar the glamming up, wifely and domestic part.  It still is in some countries, they don’t even get to do the glam bit.  When I’ve visited my parents in Saudi Arabia I feel so restricted, I cannot drive, I must wear an abaya and cannot join in when my brother and father go quad-biking on the sand dunes.  I hope one day all women are able to do the things they want freely.  Life should be an adventure!
Categories: International Women's Day, Life Experience, Uncategorized

1. Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:03 pm | Permalink

Bex you actually rock.

2. Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

BLOODY HELL BEX, you’ve really done all the things!

I love where you’re coming from with this. I’m glad I know a woman taking advantage of the opportunities because there’s no way in hell you’d get me jumping out a plane but it’s good to know I could. If I wanted to.

Amen to this. Thanks Great Grandma Doris and all the rest for getting us here.

Volcano bathing looks pretty awesome!

• Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

No way I’m skydiving or bungee jumping either. I’ll give ALL THE OTHER THINGS a go though :)

3. Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

This is awesome. You’re awesome. That is all.

4. Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:07 pm | Permalink

Bex you are so brilliant! You have such a sense of excitement about everything and it’s infectious, and I love that. I’m trying to become more adventurous and you are my new role model!

5. Vivienne
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Bex, you always make me smile! I’m dying to get back in the saddle – next month hopefully!

6. Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:17 pm | Permalink

Thanks guys! That’s exactly the reaction I was hoping for! Inspiration to get out there and live life and appreciate what we CAN do :)

(P.S. Here’s my adjucnt post for any who didn’t already see it – I was having All The Thoughts last night!! lol. http://olivedragonfly.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/international-womens-day.html)

7. Helena
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Wow you’ve done everything and I’m very glad and grateful that you are able to. I really admire your adventurous spirit even if I, sadly, don’t share it!

8. Roz
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:28 pm | Permalink

Love this Bex!!! I’m with Amy and Anna though, you can keep the sky diving and bungee jumping ;) I think your adjunct is actually more of an equally awesome facet xx

9. Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Your positivity and lust for life just shines out from this post Bex! (Do you have anything at all left on your bucket list?!) x

10. Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:33 pm | Permalink

You are an inspiration for the way that life should be lived whenever possible, with outrageous joy.

11. Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

I love that there are people like you who actively take advantage of the opportunities they have and revel in them. I feel I should do this more. This post made me very happy and motivated!

12. Abi
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

Love this Bex :-)

13. Rach M
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

This post has filled me with joy. Bex you are amazing. x

14. Posted March 8, 2013 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I am inspired by this post to get out and do all the things, too. Not including sky diving or bungee jumping, but all the other things. Your joy for life and that smile on your face is utterly wonderful!

15. Posted March 8, 2013 at 5:22 pm | Permalink

Oh and incidentally, I did the bungy jumping with 5 blokes I met in Cairns and I was the only one who volunteered to go first and the muddy arse was the result of getting lost when hiking in Tonga with 3 guys and me insisting we could get back ‘this way’ only to slip spectacularly down a muddy path! They did all follow (while in hysterics and taking pictures of muddy arse) and we did get out of the forest that way. My point being, we women should never be underestimated when being compared to our male friends, they’re often less brave/determined than us ;)

16. Mahj
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Bloody hell Greeny, I had no idea you’d done ALL THE STUFF!
    Brilliant post!

xoxo

17. Posted March 8, 2013 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Bex, you sound like a woman I would like to hang out with all the time (except when you’re bungee jumping *shudder*)

18. Lottie
    Posted March 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm | Permalink

Bex, your passion for life and for what you love, regardless of what anyone else may think is what keeps me dropping in to the olive dragonfly. You seem so kid and positive, you are an inspiration to me!!

19. Posted March 8, 2013 at 10:47 pm | Permalink

I’ve read this and now I want to go out and snog the world.

20. Lyndsey Wilson
    Posted March 9, 2013 at 7:36 am | Permalink

A daughter to be so proud of! Even I wish I had done some of these things but I don’t have the same sense of adventure…. must have given it all to you! Love you Bex.