Some Festive Love…

If you’re on Twitter and you read AOW, you probably follow enough of our ridiculously funny, lovely, stupendously awesome readers to have heard of #ShareAdvent by now. If you somehow, magically haven’t #ShareAdvent is the genius ‘makes Christmas BE EVERYWHERE’ brainchild of Anna over at Skin and Blister. (Don’t look like that, it’s cockney rhyming slang for ‘sister’, silly.) Anna introduced #ShareAdvent over on her own blog back in November and had this to say about her gorgeous idea,

‘For the last few years I have made an Advent calendar with envelopes and inside each one I have put something to do or enjoy that day. It’s really made Advent an even more special time of year for us.

This year, I wanted to invite you to join in with me. I’ve thought really hard about the activities and have tried to make it as inclusive as possible so everyone can join in. I’m hoping that those who want to take part will share the calendar on Instagram and Twitter and we can all go on a little Advent-ure together. I’ve created the hashtag #ShareAdvent for that purpose.’

The activities Anna had planned were, quite frankly, brilliant. See?

As you can see, yesterday’s activity was to watch ‘Elf’. If you’re wandering round this morning snorting to yourself and yelling ‘SANTA?!?! I KNOW HIM!!!!!!’ at random, then we can assume you ticked that one off the list successfully. I can’t say I’ll be getting on board with today’s mulled wine/cider/apple juice ‘Advent-ure’, I hate cinnamon more than most things on this planet…but I shall adapt. Hot Ribena, anyone?

The purpose of this post is really to celebrate Anna and the phenomenal way in which she has bought a HUGE community of wonderful folk together. We wanted to round up our favourite #ShareAdvent blog posts and tweets and dedicate today to the incredible bunch of contributors and crafters and writers and readers who have joined in. Most of all, this post is dedicated to Anna herself. ‘Cause we love her. Quite a lot.

DAY 2 – MAKE A PLAYLIST FOR SOMEONE ELSE’S JOURNEY HOME.

Because I’m writing this post and therefore am IN CONTROL, I’m starting off with one of my own contributions to #ShareAdvent. And because I absolutely cannot let an opportunity to take the mickey out of our Anna slide by, so rare are they. (Love you, K.) I cheated slightly and sent Anna the link to a video, not a song, to make her journey home from visiting Bella go that little bit faster.

DAY 7 – LIGHT A CANDLE. REMEMBER. GIVE THANKS.

I have to point you in the direction of reader Elsie for this activity. Elsie recently started blogging at ‘Is Elsie Making Sense?‘ and in my opinion, yes she is. A whole lot of sense. She writes beautifully and hilariously and poignantly and I thoroughly enjoy her blogging. And her tweeting. And her sewing. She’s a bit of an all rounder, this one. You need to go here and read Elsie’s post for Day 7 of #ShareAdvent. So beautiful.

DAY 10 – SHOW GRATITUDE

What a day this was to be sharing your Advent on Twitter. You couldn’t fail to be moved, amused and warmed by the tweets circulating under the #ShareAdvent hashtag.

Lara – Today I am grateful for; my husband who made dinner even though it was my turn, the roof over my head and free frozen yoghurt. #ShareAdvent

Anna – I am grateful for @anyotherwoman and @anyotheraisling and our motley crew of readers who bring me joy and crackpot texts every.single.day. #ShareAdvent

Penny - Today I am grateful to the man in my house fitting our new boiler after 17 days of polar conditions. #ShareAdvent day 10.

Katie – Thank you to my @Griffster77 for unbelievable amounts of constant support, belief and silliness. I’d be lost without you.

This is just a sample of the loveliness that flooded the Interweb on the 10th December. Delve back in time with the #ShareAdvent hashtag to soak up all the joy.

DAY 15 – HANG MISTLETOE IN YOUR HOME

There wasn’t really another picture I could use for this. The inimitable Katie, adapting the 15th activity in her own extra special way.

All you need to make your December AWESOME - right there.

Then there have been countless blog posts by a huge collective of amazing bloggers -

Rachel’s quotes

Shoestring’s YUMMY DiY wreath

Crysta’s goals for 2013

Ashleigh’s origami

Laura’s gingerbread

Charlotte’s decorations

I could go on, quite possibly, all day. But I won’t. You simply need to head to Twitter, search under #ShareAdvent and All The Amazingness will be at your fingertips. Just be prepared to lose a significant portion of your day to ogling tree decorations, cakes, gingerbread houses, beautiful flowers and wonderful people. Because that’s exactly what will happen.

Anna, we salute you. You and the Skin and Blister community have outdone yourselves and Anna, Clare and myself are so delighted and proud to have been able to play along so far. Here’s to the next 7 days, Advent-urers. What’s been your highlight so far?

Categories: Frippery, Written By Aisling

1. Posted December 18, 2012 at 7:23 am | Permalink

Yay to Anna. I’ve really enjoyed #shareadvent in so many ways. From reading what everyone else is doing to making time to think on to preparations & festive glee. Thank you for this Anna x

2. Posted December 18, 2012 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Why aren’t I kissed like that, ALL THE DAYS?

Love #shareadvent and the way it’s brought everyone together in such a shared experience.

Great, great work Anna x

• Crysta
      Posted December 18, 2012 at 9:30 am | Permalink

After seeing that for the first time, I politely requested Corey start doing weights and then asked if we could find a lake where we could practice me being lifted like that, Dirty Dancing style. I did tell him I’d lose a couple of pounds to make the lift easier for him.

All I got was an incredulous look.

• Katielase
      Posted December 18, 2012 at 12:43 pm | Permalink

It’s the way he tangles his fingers in her hair. There is nothing to say but… LE SIGH FOREVER.

3. Posted December 18, 2012 at 8:05 am | Permalink

First reaction – Baaahhhhhwaaaaagg-runny-nose-snotty-unelegant reaction. Lets all have big fat festive kisses in the rain with handsome gents.
    Then I got over that and just really, really wanted to quote Darius Danesh “Can you feel the love” and had to look him up on you tube to mock the cheesy love-fest that he provides.
    Then I had to giggle at Katie’s fabulous headgear quite a bit and the ready prepared pucker she’s sporting, she has mistletoe and isn’t afraid to use it.

I’ve loved #shareadvent, taking part, seeing what everyone else has done for that day, feeling festive, being a part of something so simple but so lovely. Big massive thank you Anna, can you please set us tasks to share outside of advent as well!?

4. Katielase
    Posted December 18, 2012 at 8:12 am | Permalink

Can you believe I got NO Ryan Gosling standard kisses whilst wearing that mistletoe headband around the house? Not. One. Outrageous.

I LOVE #shareadvent, it has made me smile throughout December, brought my Twitter feed alight with love and joy and laughter, given me the excuse to bake more than once, and best of all, this Friday it has given me the opportunity to actually MEET Anna at the London Community Gospel Choir Christmas performance. I might wear my headband. I will probably repeat this on Friday with much overexcited bouncing and hugging but… thank you Anna. It’s been wonderful!!

5. Posted December 18, 2012 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Snaps for Anna!
    I’ve loved Shareadvent so far, even when I’ve not been able to take part (or taken part in a lame way, like posting a picture of Santa in a boat for a Christmas craft) I’ve really enjoyed nosing at what everyone else has been doing.
    Agree that I now need a skin and blister task list for the whole of 2013….

6. Posted December 18, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

My life has been chaos so I’ve not been able to get involved with Shareadvent but following it has truly made my December special and made me feel so much more festive – as I got no advent calendar from my mum this year (I’m still pouting about that) it makes me so happy to see an advent calendar of love on the internet.

• Posted December 18, 2012 at 10:56 am | Permalink

My mum said the year I got married was the year I was too old to be bought one!

• Posted December 18, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

Yes – apparently that is how it works even though my older brother and sister still get them (hmph) also ShareAdvent is better it makes me smile for longer. :)

7. Crysta
    Posted December 18, 2012 at 9:45 am | Permalink

Me too on the Skin & Blister task list for 2013. Anna’s tasks for the week? Or month? I’ll feel lost without #ShareAdvent. It’s all been brilliant and I’ve had so much fun. Thank you so much Anna!

My favourite part so far has to be Katielase’s headband. That picture ALWAYS makes me smile. Other than that, everything else has been just as awesome. From Christmas markets in Manchester to going through photo’s of the year. I’ll really miss #ShareAdvent when it’s over.

Also, following on from the festive feel, I saw this and thought of Anna K: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/baby-owl-ornaments

If only I’d discovered it before Manchester…

• Posted December 18, 2012 at 10:08 am | Permalink

Crysta those are brilliant, I would like the top picture as my Christmas wreath instead of the slightly naked looking flapper-ish one I have. Agree on the missing #ShareAdvent once it’s finished, I don’t think I’m going to have anything to talk about!

• Posted December 18, 2012 at 10:10 am | Permalink

They are amazing!!! Want. Many owls. As a Brownie leader I feel entitled to want more owls.

You guys are making advent even more awesome, and I’m really enjoying reading everyone’s blogs and tweets. Love xx

• Crysta
        Posted December 18, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Well, I will have an immense stash of wool to use up after I’ve finished all my Christmas presents/hat making…I’ll also need an excuse to practice my crochet a bit more…

8. Peridot
    Posted December 18, 2012 at 11:40 am | Permalink

Well I am IN AWE of all you super-organised people who have managed to embrace the fun and festivity of the shareadvent list. I’m always looking and muttering ‘oh bugger, missed it’ or ‘oh bugger, I can’t do that until a week Friday’ or many variations on that theme. My chances of ticking any of the remaining tasks off are slim to negligible. So I shall be enjoying it vacariously through the admirable achievements of the rest of you. Go, team, go!

9. Posted December 18, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness.
    Why have I never seen the Notebook?! WHY. I want to be kissed like that. Ryan Gosling can stay too.

I might have to go for a walk and calm down before I type the rest of this!

anyway… *ahem*.

I have loved #ShareAdvent and am practically BEGGING Anna for a 2013 edition. Perhaps we could take it in turns to do one a month? I’d happily take January and issue you all some tasks/actions/words!

L x

• Katielase
      Posted December 18, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

I’ll do a month*

*Note: may include many tasks revolving around cake, giant granny pants and silly headbands.

• Peridot
        Posted December 18, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

Tasks around cake? Sounds hellish… ;-)

• Crysta
        Posted December 18, 2012 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

And mulled wine hats?

• ClaireH
      Posted December 18, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

Oooo yes please. I am a total chicken about sharing thoughts/feelings/joining in on twitter so it would be lovely to be involved in something like this and not to be a twitter wuss (maybe that could be an early 2013 resolution). Happy to help with a month too.

x

10. Sharon
    Posted December 18, 2012 at 12:49 pm | Permalink

I haven’t done all of share advent, it did prompt me to re read my favourite book which I am loving, so huge thank you. Would love something similar for 2013 x ps had a rather tense meeting at work this morning and had to resist the temptation to call colleagues angry elves! X

11. Posted December 18, 2012 at 4:48 pm | Permalink

I’ve been too crap to join in with this but I’d love a new years resolutions one?!

12. Posted December 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

Just caught up on all the comments. I love you ladies so much. Thank you for this amazing post and all the lovely comments. We’ve decided on a word a week for 2013 – words that will prompt resolutions/actions/reflection. Submissions accepted!!! I’m really really excited and have a plan for it!!!

13. Posted December 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I used to do my mum a stocking too, then one year we both decided we couldn’t be arsed! Takes the sting out when it’s a mutually beneficial lightening of your Christmas shopping load…

One Trackback