Any Other Photo {Alice and Simon}

One of the worst, and hardest parts about living overseas is that you miss out on the big moments in your friends’ lives. The pregnancy announcements that have to be done by email, not being able to see the new baby until they’re, well, not that new anymore, having to hear about engagements via Skype, and then worse, missing the wedding itself.

This pictures is from one of those weddings. Admittedly, I didn’t miss the engagement on this one, because that happened YEARS back (but that’s a whole other story), but I did have to miss the wedding. Al and I met nearly ten years ago now at a summer job during our university holidays, and she is one of those people who I can not see for years (literally), and then meet and immediately be back to giggling about something REALLY stupid – I’m pretty sure we’re forever stuck at 21.

I never thought I’d see the day when Al got married. Even when she and Si got engaged, she still wouldn’t commit to the idea of actually getting married, and so we all thought it would just never happen. Her and Si would live happily ever after, just without the wedding part. But then she surprised us all (and herself), by announcing that she was ready. And then, I think she surprised everyone even more by actually really getting in to it. Enjoying the wedding planning, and more so…organising surprises….

It was about three months before my wedding that the lovely Clare hinted – sorry, scrub that – INSISTED that I should submit an AOP “when the time comes”. I was obviously delighted to be asked and agreed on the spot, but to be totally honest, I wasn’t sure at all what that photo might be of – ‘How can one photo possibly sum up a whole day?’ I thought.

Well, how wrong can you be?! As soon as I saw this photo, I thought, yes, absolutely, that’s the one.

Photo by Tom Ashmore

As a surprise for Si, I had secretly picked and rehearsed a song that I sang with the band in the evening – he had NO IDEA, and neither did the vast majority of our guests. (He did say afterwards that he should probably be concerned that his new wife could be so sneaky!) This photo is mid way through the song – after standing there with his jaw on the floor for the first verse, Si had realised that it was probably quite terrifying for me to have 80 plus people just staring at me (he was totally right, I was terrified!), so he decided to pull his mum (in the pink) up to dance. And then more and more friends and family started dancing too and by the end of the song, the dance floor was totally full and remained so until the early hours of the morning.

I just adore Si’s pose which to me seems to be saying ‘Yeah! That’s my WIFE up there!’ and whenever I look at this photo at all the people taking pics and recording the moment and dancing and smiling and having fun, I will always be reminded of how much love I felt from everyone, not just while I sang, but for the whole day. We were totally surrounded by the people who love, support and root for us – and that is the feeling I will always associate with my wedding day.

So yes, one photo CAN represent a whole day – family, friends, surprises, laughter and a husband who really, really cannot dance. I love you baby!

Categories: Any Other Photo

1. Carly
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 7:06 am | Permalink

LOVE. IT.

X

2. Beth
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 7:41 am | Permalink

This is simply ace! What song did you sing?

• Alice
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Thanks both! Beth – I sang ‘Thing Called Love’, written by John Hiatt and sang by the amazing Bonnie Raitt, an American blues/country/rock singer. The video is fab and is a great excuse to admire a much younger Dennis Quaid! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krF6LpUXODc

• Caroline
        Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Aah how lovely! I love John Hiatt! Have a little Faith in Me made it to the top two of the first dance choices. x

• Alice
          Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Oh I adore that song! Struggle to get to the end without crying though. Was that actually your first dance song or did you go with the other one? x

• Caroline
            Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

No we went went with the other one in the end as the John Hiatt song was a little bit too slow to dance to easily without looking like we were swaying in the breeze. We went for You and Me by Penny & The Quarters. An amazing song…http://youtu.be/H8rumyup0Os

• Alice
              Posted November 9, 2012 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

Just listened to it – what a gorgeous song! x

• Beth
        Posted November 9, 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Look forward to checking both songs out over the weekend xx

3. Caroline
    Posted November 9, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

I love this photo. I love how happy and proud your husband looks. And your dress is so pretty. I’d love to know what song you were singing!

4. Posted November 9, 2012 at 11:32 am | Permalink

What a cool thing to do! Totally love you husbands moves.

• Alice
      Posted November 9, 2012 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Thanks Lucy! This was actually a brand new move that I hadn’t seen before – usually Si’s dancing alternates between striding round the dance floor and ill-advised moshing! We didn’t have a first dance in case anyone was wondering…

One Trackback

• By In praise of Pepper on February 14, 2013 at 8:05 am

[...] is our (mine and my husband Si’s) nearly five years old Weimaraner. Here is a [...]