The Any Other Woman A-Z of Getting Married….Is Here!

It’s really here!

Oh…readers.

If I could articulate how excited we are about this, it would involve multiple explanation marks, and inappropriate use of repeated vowels.  It’s been a long time since that brilliant, brilliant post which generated the most comments on any AOW post, ever, and where AOW readers across the country spent the entire day adding letters and subjects and inventive use of words to our A-Z list, and throwing their hats into the ring to contribute.

We are so proud.  This is the first project of its kind, a collaboration with all our readers to bring you a wise, sane, realistic guide to getting married in a world saturated with bull about how a wedding should be and how a bride-to-be should feel.

The posts are pouring in, and there’s a huge mix.  Some people have written about their experiences.  Some people have written advice.  Some people have written about what they wish they’d done, or what they hope they will do.  What each post has in common is that every writer has poured their heart and soul into it and what we can promise you’ll get is 26 weeks (yes, a letter a week!) of writing that is the very essence of the AOW readership.

So…how will it work?

We realise the thought of 26 weeks of marriage-related material might not be everyone’s cup of tea, so we will be posting A-Z posts in the afternoons – look out for them most weekdays at 1pm.  We will continue to run the usual AOW material in the mornings, so you’ll still get your fix of readers’ submissions and our drivel from 7am.

We’ll be tackling one letter per week, kicking off with the A’s next week (Tuesday).  Some letters are more popular that others and there is still time to get involved…if you haven’t had a chance yet but would love to contribute, even if you don’t know what you’d like to write about, then we would love, yes love, to have you on board, just email us or drop us a comment below.  Please don’t be shy – this project is about bringing everyone together, and the more readers we have involved, the more diverse and valuable the content will be.

We’ve worked closely with our sponsors on this. The posts will be made to look gorgeous peppered with our sponsors’ images, and with a beautiful banner designed by the (incredibly talented) Suzanne from PrettyWild Designs.  Upon receiving this banner, Sarah told C and I to “brace ourselves”.  I scoffed.  “Pffft.  Can’t be that good”, I thought.

I was WRONG.  We were blown away.  It was incredible.    Would you like a sneak peek, readers?

Behold!

It has books….BOOKS!  Butterflies.  Wordy stuff.  Navy and peach and grey.  Did I mention books?  Thank you, Suzanne.  We love.  We love you.

We’d like to say a huge thank you to all our readers who have contributed to the A-Z, and those who are writing their posts as you read this.  We absolutely couldn’t have pulled off a project of this magnitude without you.  And if this guide helps just one bride-to-be realise that she can ignore the white noise and unreasonable expectations of much of the wedding industry, and if it makes just one reader realise that she’s not alone in feeling that particular way, and if it makes just one person think differently…then readers?  Our job here is done.

See you next week for the A’s!

Love in all its A-Z glory,

Team AOW x

Categories: A-Z of Getting Married, Behind the Scenes at AOW, Wedding Planning

1. Posted August 16, 2012 at 7:14 am | Permalink

“white noise”: I genuinely can’t think of a better description!

I’m incredibly excited to see these posts!

2. Sandra C
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 7:28 am | Permalink

Gorgeous banner-I’m halfway through my letter. Can’t wait!! xx

3. Posted August 16, 2012 at 7:51 am | Permalink

I forgot! It will be done as soon as poss…. (exciting)

4. Hayley H
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 7:54 am | Permalink

How did I miss this? Off to catch up now but what a fabulous banner!

• Posted August 16, 2012 at 7:59 am | Permalink

Hayley there is still a chance to get involved… Email us! x

5. Mahj
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Its normal right that I will still devour each letter of the A – Z even though I’m already married?? Right??
    Best get on with my letter too!
    Very excited about this Team AOW.

xoxo

• Posted August 16, 2012 at 8:29 am | Permalink

Mahj, it’s practically compulsory!

We’re super excited too! x

6. Posted August 16, 2012 at 8:34 am | Permalink

May I be the first to say ‘Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!’?

So, so excited about this starting next week. The submissions are excellent. Thanks very much to Suzanne at Prettywild for the banner. It’s perfect. There is a butterfly on a book, people! LOVE.

26 weeks of excitement, cannot wait!

7. Posted August 16, 2012 at 8:34 am | Permalink

Holy Balls look at that banner!!! It’s gorgeous and so absolutely perfect. Suzanne clearly has the measure of you ladies!

Oh so excited to see this start (I am working on my letters, promise!). I have a feeling a few of us married may start mentally planning vow renewals once this all kicks off… Lets hope that’s not just me anyway!

xx

8. Posted August 16, 2012 at 8:53 am | Permalink

LOVE the banner! But then I always love Suzanne’s work!

Really looking forward to reading these posts. x

9. Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:10 am | Permalink

Love the banner and the A-Z concept. Really looking forward to reading the posts!

Val

10. Zan
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:11 am | Permalink

FAB! Firstly – I promise my post will be delivered by the end of the week :)

Secondly – this actually couldn’t be better timed for me! I’m so excited that I’ll get able to glean the full extent of the AOW community advice while planning my wedding. It’s like having the worlds best crack team of wedding planners on board – yay!

• Roz
      Posted August 16, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

It is indeed excellent timing for you, I may be slightly jealous ;D

• Posted August 16, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

eeee it’s like this whole thing was DESIGNED for you! x

• Frances
      Posted August 16, 2012 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

Likewise – I am so excited by this! My wedding will plan itself if I read enough posts, right?

11. Lucie
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

What a brilliant idea!! Can’t wait to see what everyone’s written, I have no doubt that the advice will be as sound and sensible as ever!

Very exciting!x

12. Carly
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Exciting!! Nearly there with my post too.

X

13. Katielase
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:20 am | Permalink

Oh! Oh! The banner! Is it weird to want to use it as wallpaper?!?!

I would still like to contribute. How do I do that? Pick a letter and run? I shall drop you guys an email (be warned, it also has a favour request in it..)

K xx

• Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink

What do you think adorns the walls in Anna’s treehouse?!

There are still a few letters available but get in quick, missus x

• Clare
      Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:27 am | Permalink

How is it possible that you are NOT contributing already?! Email us right now.

• Katielase
        Posted August 16, 2012 at 10:47 am | Permalink

Nope, apparently I am, I just have a brain like a sieve. Ignore me. Apart from the comment about wanting to wallpaper my flat with that banner, that still stands!

14. Fran
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:25 am | Permalink

This is my first post on here (but, yeah, I’ll admit that I’ve been stalking you all for a while – just to catch up, understand?)

This is excellent timing for my impending wedding (Jan) – I’ll be looking forward to it all. From what I’ve seen, you ladies know how to hit the nail on the head.

Oh and the banner – navy and peach? Serious love for that.

15. Clare
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I just went for it with the inappropriate amount of vowels and exclamation marks, but in fairness, it is totally worth it. Have you SEEN the banner?!

And let me tell you ladies, the posts that I’ve seen so far are bloody brilliant. This is going to change the way people see wedding planning. Send this link to all of your friends. Put it on Facebook. Tweet about it. The more brides (and grooms) we can get access to, the more people we’ll be able to save from wedding insanity.

16. Posted August 16, 2012 at 9:42 am | Permalink

Have I forgotten something I’m supposed to be doing? I remember jumping up and down going ‘me me me’ and have done bugger all since.

Also, banner = AMAZING! I want to eat it.

• Roz
      Posted August 16, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Snap Amy! I also jumped up and down when the idea of A – Z was first posted on the blog whilst screaming give me a letter….then erm promptly did nothing. Please wonderful team at AOW bestow me a letter pretty please??

Looking forward to reading the series :D Clearly the treehouse needs to get an actual shelf that looks just like that banner! xx

• Katielase
        Posted August 16, 2012 at 11:31 am | Permalink

Quite possibly the same situation as me, where my letter is later in the alphabet, so I haven’t been asked to write it yet, and it had entirely slipped my mind that I’d offered to.

Pretty sure you guys should get this published when it’s done!

• Clare
          Posted August 16, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

It’s exactly that – if you put your name down on the original post, you are IN! Absolutely everybody who wants to be in, is in. If you’ve not heard from us, it’s because your letter is later on in the alphabet, so fear not – you’ll be given plenty of notice when your post is due by Anna – Chief Controller of the A-Z and Spreadsheet Master of the Universe.

If you’re worried you’re not included or that we’ve missed you somehow, just drop one of us an email and we’ll get back to you to confirm you’re in.

• Posted August 16, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

C, please can that be my job title? Thanks.

• Clare
              Posted August 16, 2012 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

That IS your job title. It’s what Aisling, Sarah and I call you anyway, and that’s what matters. Perhaps we should make you business cards?

• Katielase
                Posted August 16, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

You should get that printed on a t-shirt and wear it always.

• Posted August 16, 2012 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Roz, Amy, Katie’s right, I’m just doing it in blocks ‘cos it’s a bit of a mega-job. If you haven’t heard from me, it’s because I’m trying to sort out the first letters of the alphabet first!

I am slowly making my way down the list to confirm with everyone but quick version: if you mentioned a subject in the comments on that VERY first post, I’ve stuck you down in the spreadsheet and emailing you all to confirm.

Any queries, email me: anna@. Chances are I’ll email you first!

Kx

• Posted August 16, 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Ah goody, as long as it’s not me being useless then all is OK. And I asked for V so that totally makes sense!

17. Sammi
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 10:46 am | Permalink

I would love to contribute something.

In fact it’s more or less already written (may require tweaks).

Can I bagsy H? H for Home. We hosted our wedding at Home, three and a half weeks ago to be exact. Everything turned out fabulously, but it wasn’t without a few hitches along the way.

18. Alex D
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

That Suzanne is so ruddy talented! Love the banner and can’t wait to ready the A-Z despite being an old married! Keep up the good work ladies! x

19. Steff
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 11:30 am | Permalink

So…. 26 weeks of very little work getting done then? Excellent :) can’t wait! x

20. Posted August 16, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Ooh the banner is lovely!
    If there are any letters still going I’d definitely love to do one! I did email a while back to say I’d love to take part but sometimes my ancient hotmail account plays up so you might not have got it :)
    Cheers

• Posted August 16, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

Hello Vicki – we don’t have that email but let me send you one right now! Anna x

• Posted August 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm | Permalink

Thanks Anna! I think it must have got lost somewhere along the line, no worries :)
        x

21. Frances
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 1:52 pm | Permalink

Banner is soooooo pretty! I want it as wallpaper too – even just a feature wall maybe?

I need to get writing I think…

22. Posted August 16, 2012 at 3:04 pm | Permalink

That’s a fabulous banner Suzanne! Love the design and excited to see the A-Z unfold. Wicked idea ladies.

23. Rose
    Posted August 16, 2012 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Really looking forward to the A-Z (and sort of wish I wasn’t already married, darn it!) Suzanne is wonderfully talented and so clever- she made my H a wedding gift and it’s something we’ll treasure and will pass down the family, if you haven’t seen her work before go check it out!

24. Posted August 16, 2012 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

SO excited about this. That is all. :)

25. Posted August 18, 2012 at 7:12 pm | Permalink

That banner is absolutely perfect. Perfect.

26. Lara Blue
    Posted August 20, 2012 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Wanted to add to the public banner adoration that’s going on and also say: Anna, I’ll email you later as I’d love to be involved but right now I’ve been lying in bed snoozing my alarm and reading AOW (and creating a twitter account to add you, so bed might equal lazy, however; AOW related activities equal productive in my book!) but now am probably going to be late!! Look out for my mail later :)