Any Other Photo {Vicky and Iain}

Good morning readers. It’s been an emotional week here on AOW – thank goodness for another Friday, and another AOP.

There’s something about proud father-of-the-bride pictures which just get me. They make me feel all soppy and teary and all sorts of things that I’m not usually inclined to.¬†If you’re close to your dad, you’ll know exactly what I mean. This one does not let me down on that front. This picture just exudes love and happiness, and is exactly what an AOP should be – it captures a moment that makes Vicky smile every time she sees it.

Readers – I give you Vicky and her ever-so-proud-looking Dad. (And Iain, of course.)

Image by Duncan McLachlan of Studiograff Photo

This photograph reflects the feelings of the day perfectly. Iain and I had a Scottish Humanist ceremony in the beautiful Castle of Mey. It was full of joy, laughs and tears. We have hundreds of photos from the ceremony which I adore, but have chosen this photograph which was taken during the speeches…..specifically my Dad’s speech.

My Dad loves to talk, but we rarely talk about feelings. We had a fraught relationship in my teenage years when our ‘oh too similar’ personalities clashed so often. It was easy to think he didn’t love me! Since the weeks leading up to my wedding I can now tell you that my Dad loves me more than anything. He spent weeks perfecting his speech (as accustomed to public speaking as he is, he was incredibly nervous!) He recorded it onto his iPod and tried and tried to learn it by heart, but on the day he still needed his notes.

He spoke for 6 minutes about all the things he had never told me, he made us laugh and he made us cry, and by ‘us’ I mean everyone in the room. He talked about the day he met my late Father in Law at work and never imagined that one day his little girl would marry Jim’s little boy he talked about how proud he was of me (he got my job title wrong and I had a promotion for the day, much to the amusement of my manager!), and he got all the best jokes in before the poor best man took the floor….

This is the photo we didn’t know was being taken that captures all of that. Its not the most flattering photo of me that we got but its one of the ones that makes me smile the most, and its the one all the guests commented on.

Categories: Any Other Photo

1. Kate S
    Posted August 3, 2012 at 9:14 am | Permalink

Ahh Vic I love it! You’ve seen my ‘proud dad’ photo so you just know I’m going to love this one. You look so happy! Actually, everybody does. Perfect! x

2. Posted August 3, 2012 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Lovely writing Vicky. This photo really touches me as
    My dad also spent hours on his speech and had a really weird turn in the middle
    Of doing it and fell to the floor so never got to finish it. We all thought he’d had a heart attack but was the start of a series of black-out episodes. He’s been tested for everything under the sun but no answers to why but I remember that moment so clearly. Would love to have a photo like yours!

3. Martha
    Posted August 3, 2012 at 11:00 am | Permalink

Oh God Anna! What an absolutely awful thing to experience, especially at that particular moment! Glad he’s ok but sorry your wedding was memorable for all the wrong reasons! Blimey. I feel so sad for hiom and you that his speech was left unsaid! Vicky, I love the look of concentration on your dad’s face while all around there is laughter :-)

4. Carly
    Posted August 3, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

I love the whole Dad/Daughter thing at weddings and my Dad’s speech is one of the things I am really looking forward to at our wedding.

You look so happy Vicky. It’s a cracking photo.

X

5. sandra c
    Posted August 3, 2012 at 1:03 pm | Permalink

You look beautiful, your dad looks so proud!! Its a lovely photo, full of laughing and love. I hope the rest of your day was the same!!

6. Posted August 3, 2012 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

Vicky, I have never felt compelled to write a comment before, but your story and picture made me take to my keyboard!! This is a beautiful story with a fantastic photo of you all. I read your lovely words, and they brought a lump to my throat. I too had a difficult relationship with my Dad during the dreaded “teenage years” and we were far from close for some time. Time is a great healer, and our relationship gradually mended. Now my lovely Dad is suffering from Dementia and your words made me realise that none of the bad stuff matters any more, I just love my Dad and miss being able to talk to him. Treasure these memories and have a lifetime full of love with Iain.

• Posted August 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on popping your AOW Commenting cherry! The more the merrier!

7. Posted August 3, 2012 at 2:08 pm | Permalink

Ah what a corker. Like your Dad mine was really nervous about the whole giving a speech thing and as he’s a man of few words normally, his speech was all the more special to me. He also recorded it onto an ipod and took to practising it in the car on his way to and from work! Poor thing, I don’t think he really started to enjoy himself until he’d got the speech over and done with (we even had speeches before the food so he could enjoy the meal!)

Lovely photo – you all look so happy!

xx

8. Jo S
    Posted August 3, 2012 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

A fabulous photo vicky, really captures the moment with lots of laughter and such a proud Dad!

9. Posted August 3, 2012 at 5:49 pm | Permalink

Vicky, this is such a great photo and I’m so pleased you sent it in!

I love a photo where you can see what the crowd think of the ‘gig’ – obviously having a great time here! You look beautiful x

10. Hayley H
    Posted August 3, 2012 at 7:05 pm | Permalink

I absolutely love this photo V, really captures the feeling of your day. And as for your dad, what a lovely daddy he is!

11. Fiona
    Posted August 4, 2012 at 5:13 am | Permalink

This is such a gorgeous photo! You look lovely, but you can also really see the happiness in the room! What a fantastic dad you’ve got!

12. Katielase
    Posted August 4, 2012 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Missed this yesterday, but what a perfect moment, and your words brought tears to my eyes. The moments I spent with my Dad in the morning were so precious, and his speech was so moving and important to me. This completely sums up why the speeches are such a wonderful part of the day :-)