Any Other Photo {Claire and Rory}

When Claire emailed me with her Any other Photo, she sent in two.  Mt heart broke.  We had, the day before, decided to crack down on Any Other Photos and only allow one per post – having two sort of defeats the point.  Claire then asked me to choose.  What?!?!  I immediately emailed Team AOW to demand that they choose, (when in doubt, delegate) because both photos and descriptions were so darn perfect.  They couldn’t.  Sarah then had the brilliant idea of posting one on the blog, and one on in our Any Other Photo – The Bonus Images on Facebook…thereby sticking to our principles, but not denying you lovely lot the chance to see both (incredible) pictures.

Claire’s photo (taken by the hugely talented Alex Dimopolous of My Love Story) is a triumph.  I love the sense of place, the pride in walking through Shepherd’s Bush, and that these Londoners aren’t even gawking…and that that’s the most London part of all.  I love the lesson in remembering the bits that matter, and the bits that don’t.  On a slightly more superficial note, I am also excited about Claire’s green shoes.

Happy Friday readers.  Over to you, Claire:

Photo 1

This photo is me and my new husband walking through Shepherd’s Bush, the slightly dog-eared part of London we call home.  I love this picture because it reminds me of what our wedding was about – non-traditional, with no fancy pretension - just me and Rory walking hand in hand to our reception, in our ‘manor’.

During wedding planning, it’s so easy to become fixated on the details and on what people will think of you and your wedding (seriously folks, if people actually care that you went for paper napkins over cloth ones then why are you inviting them to your wedding?!!) but on the day nothing else mattered, we could have got married (as Rory often joked before the event) with me wearing a binbag and us going for fish and chips afterwards and I would have been just as happy.

I love the incongruous marriage of us in our finery and the rest of London getting on with their Saturday around us.  You can see the GLEE on my face (and it was pure GLEE the whole day) and the (ever) calm contentment on Rory’s as we walk, AND we got one of the only sunny days in June.  It was a SIGN I tell you.

Readers.  Here’s Claire’s (wonderful, tear-jerking) description of her second photo.  If you want to see it, head over to our Facebook page

Photo 2

The second photo is of me and my dad. My dad is a man of very few words, it’s not entirely his fault – he has lived with my (adorable) mother for the last 40 years and hasn’t been able to get a word in, so in the name of peace and harmony, it’s probably for the best.

Anyway, talking in public, much less about his hopes and dreams for his daughter and…gasp….his FEELINGS, is not something he does.  EVER.  This photo was taken just after he finished his speech, a heartfelt recital of love and pride that had his audience dabbing at their eyes and me, as you can see, all choked up.

It was a nervous speech, read straight from a sheet of white A4, not the most articulate or witty or clever but the fact he was there, doing that for me, was astonishing really and the best wedding present he could have got me.  This photo reminds me that sometimes people can surprise you and also reminds me that Rory and I are really, really loved and we are SO, so lucky for that reason.

Categories: Any Other Photo

1. Posted August 31, 2012 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Beautiful photos, Claire! It was really tough deciding!

‘Any Other Photo – The Bonus Images’ photo album is love on our Facebook page now http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.377871935614169.81658.260380844029946&type=3, have a browse, admire Claire’s beautiful second photo and get in touch if you want your images added.

Sarah x

2. Posted August 31, 2012 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Ah I love AOP – you look so darn happy! Have to admit though if I was passing you in the street I would totally be having a good old nosey…

Love the photo on facebook too. Can totally relate to everything you say about your Dad (in fact it could have been written about mine!) and despite the fact he was nervous as hell the fact that he got up and did a speech just for me was so, so special. One of my many favourite memories of our wedding.

xx

3. Steff
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 11:41 am | Permalink

Love these pics, I hope the first one is blown up right above your fireplace – it deserves to be for sure! Happy happy :) xx

4. Posted August 31, 2012 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Details are nice but not as important as the true sentiment of the day! Love the article and more blogs need to dedicate space to the real story! Keep up the good work.

5. Carly
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Those members of the public are showing a lot of restraint! I’d be in your face asking where you had got the shoes from!

X

6. Roz
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

I really like this AOP :D I too would have had a good nosey if you had wandered past me looking so fab and in love! xx

7. Claire
    Posted August 31, 2012 at 12:27 pm | Permalink

Ha! Thanks for the lovely comments. I did get people shouting “Oooh look at her shoes!” as we walked as well as calls of congratulations. It was proper mint like (can you tell I married a Geordie?).

x

• Becca
      Posted August 31, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Aye pet you look lush

8. Posted August 31, 2012 at 12:47 pm | Permalink

What a cool photo, if I were a passerby I would have ruined it by gawping at you both!
    Bit sad about the new AOP rule. My hubby and I both have photos we’d probably pick and I was trying to convince him to do a joint submission!

• Posted August 31, 2012 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Hi Linsey, it’s an old rule! Why not submit one each? We might even do a double AOP post…

• Clare
      Posted September 1, 2012 at 1:20 am | Permalink

If there’s a great reason (like yours) then we are totally up for making it work. Totally.

9. Posted November 27, 2012 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

You can now see Claire & Rory’s full wedding day http://my-lovestory.co.uk/old-marylebone-town-hall-wedding-photography-london/

One Trackback

• By Old Marylebone Town Hall Wedding Photography London on November 27, 2012 at 1:30 pm

[...] “It was a nervous speech, read straight from a sheet of white A4, not the most articulate or witty or clever but the fact he was there, doing that for me, was astonishing really and the best wedding present he could have got me.  This photo reminds me that sometimes people can surprise you and also reminds me that Rory and I are really, really loved and we are SO, so lucky for that reason.”  You can see more of what Claire wrote here: [...]