Any Other Photo {Abi and Mike}

Readers, as it’s a bank holiday weekend, we’re going to take a long weekend, have a break, and be back with you on Tuesday morning, 7am sharp, coffee in hand.  See you then!

When I received Abi’s submission, it was 10.47pm and I couldn’t get to sleep because I was grinning like a loon.  It’s not just the picture itself, but oh , it is special.  Look at the sheer joy on the face of those guests.  Look at them!  What really made me smile was the reason why Abi chose this picture.

Because yes, a wedding is about the bride and groom and immediate family.  But it’s also about the people who have travelled cross country (and often across borders) to see you, who have arranged for babysitters and locked up their houses and sat in traffic jams and bought train tickets and checked into hotels and given up their weekends to be there, to be with you, to support you, to love you.  And this AOP celebrates that, unapologetically.

Photograph by the talented Tom Smith Photography.  Congratulations, Abi and Mike…and happy Friday readers:

Like many of you, when I got my pictures, I started to think, what one will I submit for Any Other Photo? What photo means the most to me? Why? What does it say that  others don’t?

I might be unusal here but I really love all our pictures, including the ones taken on phones by friends.

There are so many that summed up what an incredible day we had with our amazing friends and family.

The first photo that I thought might be my AOP was a picture taken by a friend and sent to me the morning after. It was amazing to see this picture the day after. I was laughing, confetti thrown at me, dancing down the aisle, clutching my bouquet as Mike held on to me.

The morning of pictures, with my sister and my bridesmaids laughing as we are getting ready, sitting on my hotel bed drinking pink champagne out of plastic glasses (always classy!).

Photos that sums up my love of these girls and how happy I was to be sharing my day with them.

The one that nearly was, is a picture of me and my dad walking down the aisle  together, Dad with tears in his eyes, looking so proud, me with the biggest smile, looking at the man I was about to marry.

There were many photos that show how much fun we had, tons that show how happy we are together and all of them I am smiling from ear to ear.

But my AOP isn’t a picture of us and our happiness.

My AOP summed up for me what we wanted, what we had always hoped our wedding would look like.

Very simply, this is a picture of everyone having fun.

However, it is also a picture that tells a 1000 words to me as, its a picture of so many people and their stories. All brought together, from all over the country, to be at our wedding.

And this is what happens when the DJ starts the music and a fair amount of wine has been drunk.

Categories: Any Other Photo

1. Becca
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 7:24 am | Permalink

Yeaaassss…..I have recently had a run in with a friend (and now I’m her former bridesmaid…let’s just say its been coming for a while and she was never mine…says a lot) about what marriage is. Her (incorrect) view is that marriage is a legal contract. Nothing more. Nothing less. And a wedding is a post deal celebration. I find this view a bit sad….marriage is more than legal security*****

My view is that marriage is a promise you make to each other in front of as many of your family and friends you can cram in one room. Its about the PEOPLE. The legal part is something that is extra and to say a marriage is simply about law takes away from the REAL meaning of marriage.

It’s about people, people!!

That’s why I ADORE this. And if everyone at our wedding has as good a time as this then we will both be very happy.

***** everyone else had told me she was mental for years.

2. Posted August 24, 2012 at 7:36 am | Permalink

What a wonderful way to start the long weekend.

3. Posted August 24, 2012 at 8:05 am | Permalink

All the smiles! Perfect :) x

4. Posted August 24, 2012 at 8:58 am | Permalink

I love this photo and you have summed up a lot of what we wanted (and thankfully got in abundance) from our wedding. So much joy.

5. Carly
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Amazing. I absolutely love this! It’s what we hope for at our wedding too.

X

6. Lara Blue
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 9:55 am | Permalink

Lovely photo and lovely sentiment :)

7. Katielase
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 11:37 am | Permalink

I properly ADORE this. It’s very timely too, because right now I am listening to our wedding playlist, and every track that shuffles on reminds me of the person who chose it, and of dancing the night away with them. So much love and joy and hysterical laughter. This photo sums up everything I feel about our evening party, and the dancing are definitely some of my fave memories of the day!

8. Abi Cowley
    Posted August 24, 2012 at 11:48 am | Permalink

Thanks everyone! I really love this picture. Tom was a brilliant, completely unobtrusive photographer who took fab natural pics. He’s based in Bath for anyone in the area :-)

x

9. Posted August 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I love this, it’s exactly the kind of photos I want to see from our wedding!

10. Posted August 24, 2012 at 12:59 pm | Permalink

What song are they dancing to? Whatever it is should be compulsory for all weddings.

• Becca
      Posted August 24, 2012 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

I think it must be Willow…hair back and forth. There is definately swishing

• Abi Cowley
        Posted September 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Its Jackie Wilson – (Your love) Keeps lifting me Higher and Higher! It was going to be our first dance, but I knew that it was a perfect second one…

11. Posted August 24, 2012 at 1:44 pm | Permalink

This is gorgeous and I chose a similar photo for my AOP for similar reasons!

12. Posted August 24, 2012 at 2:46 pm | Permalink

Beautiful picture – shiny happy people holding hands! x

13. Posted August 28, 2012 at 10:35 am | Permalink

love this photo! It’s great to see FUN written all over their faces!