Weekend Wonderings

This week I’ve taken some holiday. Mr M has been away on a cricket tour so I decided to take some time off and have some me time. A real holiday where I shut myself off from communication. I lasted two days. Yep, 48 hours. Sad, isn’t it? There’s a blog post on its way about the things I learned but in the meantime I wanted to share something I saw during my time off that made my day.

The Carnaby Street Book Exchange.

Launched recently, it’s a creative project by MA Fashion Curation students at the London College of Fashion. The idea is simple. Bring a book (or several) to adorn their shelves within an oasis of calm at Kingley Street, London, and swap it (them) for something you want to read. The catch? Well, nothing really. There might just be such thing as a free lunch book. All they ask of you is that you leave a comment – either about the book you’re leaving (“Erm, my mum loves E.L James, honest”) or what you think of the initiative.

I think it’s absolutely super. In a world of cut throat sales and soaring ground rents I love that creativity and calm can triumph. Go there, take your books and enjoy.

The Carnaby Street Book Exchange, G5, Ground floor, Kingly Court, Carnaby Street, London W1B 5PW.  Opening Hours: Monday – Saturday 8am – 6pm and Sunday 12pm – 6pm.

Categories: Books, Books That Made Me Me, Weekend Wonderings

1. Sandra C
    Posted July 28, 2012 at 8:56 am | Permalink

I love this! For the same reason I love honesty boxes at the and of people’s driveways for home grown produce. It’s about the giving and the trust in your fellow (wo)man. I also adore calm. I’d like to go here please. Very much.

2. Posted July 28, 2012 at 11:13 am | Permalink

You would love it, Sandra! They have comfy chairs and you can just sit and absorb. Such a great idea!

Snap on the honesty boxes. They make me happy.

3. Jenni
    Posted July 28, 2012 at 5:37 pm | Permalink

Lovely idea, I can just picture the peace and serenity…

4. Katielase
    Posted July 29, 2012 at 10:19 am | Permalink

So definitely going here next time I have a free weekend!

5. Posted July 29, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I’ve just had a week with no phone or internet. It was lovely. Although I am spending today catching up on everything I’ve missed.

6. Posted July 29, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Oh, and I saw the book exchange a couple of weeks ago and totally meant to put something on the AOW fb page about it but totally forgot so I’m really pleased you found it too!

• Posted July 29, 2012 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

There must be a well worn AOWesque path around that part of town!

7. Mahj
    Posted July 30, 2012 at 9:53 am | Permalink

Aww man, this is such a lovely idea. Damn myself for living in Manchester, and I don’t tend to make it to Londonian very often. Wonder if there is something similar up here…

xoxo