Just Married: Kristelle and Dan

You know we love a wedding story here at AOW Towers. What can be better than a tale of love with a happy ending? Well, one with just the right amount of drama, of course! Throw in a farcical member of the clergy and I’m sold. Hook, link and sinker.

A big thank you to Kristelle and Dan for sharing their London wedding with us, beautifully illustrated by the talented Custard Cream Photography.  I adore the vibrancy in Kristelle’s photos. They’ve really captured her spirit and her sense of fun. I love that she and Dan managed to laugh their way through things that would have caused many a bride to crumble into a mess of snot and tears. K, I salute you! May your positive approach be forever present in your marriage.

Beautiful Kristelle. Image courtesy of Custard Cream Photography.

I’m not sure how to begin so will just say 23 June was the most memorable and amazing day of my life! I married the man I love, with friends and family around to love and support us.

We got engaged in December 2010 and I started planning straight away. Think ‘To Do’ list, Excel spreadsheets, wedding books, magazines and fairs! During this time some other lovely ladies I met got married. They all told me don’t panic over the small things, you won’t even notice if they go wrong. Oh boy, did things go wrong for us ( although I am proud to say these were none of the things I planned *smug grin*)! So much so I did notice, but it didn’t spoil or taint the memory of my day.

Love the froth of of the dress against the brickwork. Custard Cream Photography.

Here’s a brief synopsis;

The woman I had paid to decorate the venue had previously confirmed she would be on hand all day to help out. The night before she then said she would simply set up the room and leave.  I almost fainted in the morning while having my hair done. The priest dropped BOTH our rings down the church grate, my husbands was found within 5 mins but I ended up getting married with my mum’s ring. When we left the church it started to rain so we didn’t get any group pictures. I popped the back of my wedding dress when I sat down in the car from the church and, just when we thought nothing more could go wrong, when I arrived at the reception the venue decorator had set up the wrong sideshow despite my (what I thought was) fool proof instructions.

The lucky fella with his beautiful bride. Thanks to Custard Cream Photography.

Despite all of the above I wouldn’t change my day for anything. Oh, and they found my ring and bought it to the reception about 1 and a half hours after we got married! I married the man I love and that’s all that mattered. Yes, there were some tears but there were a hell of a lot more smiles and laughter. So many people said it was one of the best weddings they had been to.

Sometimes seeing an embrace is all you need to feel the love. Image via Custard Cream Photography.

We ate, drank, laughed and rocked the dance floor until 1am. I was on such a natural high all day! When we got to our room we stayed up for a couple more hours (get your mind out the gutter!) we were talking (well for some of it ;-) ) about how great the day had been and how much we loved each other.

Just too cute! Thanks to the very talented Custard Cream Photography

I know this isn’t your usual report but I just wanted to let others know that although things may go wrong, your wedding day will still be the most amazing day.

Here’s some pics for ya (now you tell me if they show any trace of the drama that went before them!).

Check out those shoes. Bespoke, darlings!  Images courtesy of Custard Cream Photography.
Categories: Any Other Wedding, Family, Friends and Relationships, Marriage, Real Bride, Wedding Reports

1. Posted July 25, 2012 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Where did that heart-shaped umbrella come from? Love it!

Lovely, soothing words for someone (um, me!) struggling with the ‘grrr’ that goes around wedding planning and wanting everything to work out perfectly – because that’s what wedding blogs show happens to other people, right?!

That’s why I love reading AOW!

2. Posted July 25, 2012 at 9:03 am | Permalink

This is so true!

In the run up to our wedding I kept insisting that as long as we both showed up, and were able to say our vows and get hitched, there could be no such thing as a wedding disaster. Retrospectively, I was clearly ASKING for the crisis that I got, which nearly resulted in no wedding, but luckily didn’t. After that had happened pretty much anything else could have gone wrong and I wouldn’t have noticed/cared. I love how your day was full of joy and laughter, and that even disasters and occasional chaos couldn’t get in the way of your happiness. This is a message all brides to be need to read!!

Some less serious thoughts now….

1) There is a frothy wedding dress on a BUILDING. Amaze.
    2) I want that umbrella for always
    3) OHMYHOLYSHITTINGGOD THE SHOES! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

• Zan
      Posted July 25, 2012 at 9:14 am | Permalink

I thought 2) and 3) as soon as I’d read this too! x

3. Posted July 25, 2012 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Oh my goodness – I can’t believe the priest dropped both the rings! Did yours ever get found Kristelle?

So pleased you had an amazing day despite all the stress.

4. Zan
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 9:19 am | Permalink

Great post – goes to show lots can go wrong and it’s still a wonderful day!

I was at a wedding this weekend where the bride and groom had decided on a marquee for the reception. They were getting married in a tiny village (where the groom was from) and the marquee would be set up across from the church….only the rain had other ideas, totally flooded the fields and they spent the week before the wedding finding an alternative field, drying out the marquee, wrangling with bar licenses and worrying that that their guests would have nowhere to go!

BUT it all worked out (due to some stellar work from family and friends) and was a wonderful and as it turned out gloriously sunny day! And they looked so happy that even if anything wasn’t ‘perfect’ I doubt they would have cared :)

5. Kate S
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 10:17 am | Permalink

Ahh K! I did chuckle when you told me about the rings but you honestly did keep a calm head – well done! I’d have had a meltdown methinks.
    Beautiful dress, beautiful shoes, absolutely beautiful bride.
    Kate x

6. Peridot
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 10:43 am | Permalink

Good for you for sharing those less perfect moments! I always hear about the perfect and the pretty so it’s nice to hear that you can have a few boo-boos and still have a wonderful time.

PS Well done for not throttling the priest. I would have!

PPS Hear, hear on the SHOES!

7. Steff
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

I love the frank and honest writing in this post, it really is the one message I’d give to any brides planning their wedding now. Your day sounded amazing and it’s certainly given you a day to remember and story to tell.

Now, ahem, there is a matter of too much pretty for my eyes to cope with on a Wednesday morning…
    Those shoes – WANT. On my feet. Right now.
    Umbrella – NEED! I don’t care if the sun has finally shown his cheeky wee face, I need that brolly as a matter of urgency.

8. Alex D
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:14 am | Permalink

I bloody love these photos. You make a gorgeous couple. I think you have shown despite a few (!) hiccups you still had a truly wonderful day. And EEEEK love seeing those shoes again, Mrs Shoe Twin! Can we create an event where we can both wear them again please? x

9. Alex D
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 11:15 am | Permalink

P.p.s – I also want the brolly. That is all x

10. Kristelle
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

Hi all

Thank you for all the lovely and kind comments. I’m glad you liked it. As I said I really wanted to show that everything doesn’t have to go perfect for your day to be perfect (if that makes sense)

I loved my shoes. I had them before the dress and then worked the dress around them. Am going to get them dyed black so that I can wear again.

11. Mahj
    Posted July 25, 2012 at 9:12 pm | Permalink

That umbrella would complete me!

I loved this. LOVED IT. Even though things went wrong, it was real and honest and thats what makes a great wedding day.

xoxo

• Jo S
      Posted July 25, 2012 at 9:35 pm | Permalink

Fabulous photo’s, the picture of the dress made me gasp with delight and fear of what if? It was so worth it though. Your day sounded perfect even with the hiccups.
      Another person here wanting that brolly too! I won’t tell anyone if you give it to me ;-)

12. Sandra C
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 7:28 am | Permalink

You look amazong, K. Absolutley amazing. Your dress, shoes, umbrella, photos. All amazing. You can see the love in those photos.
    Wishing you and Dan all of the love and happiness in the world.Have a Daquiri on me. xx

13. Alice
    Posted July 26, 2012 at 9:22 am | Permalink

That unmbrella is amazing!

One Trackback

• [...] married for over 30 years) Read all about the dramas of their day on the fab lifestyle and love blog Any Other Woman. After all the commotion they headed to the Hilton London Docklands Riverside where the party [...]