Any Other Photo {Sarah and Adam}

There are many reasons that this Any Other Photo melts my heart. Not just the expression on Sarah’s face, or the pride on  her Dad’s, or the way the tourists are looking at the beautiful bride-to-be,  or the way family and friends chipped in to prevent disaster striking (although all four get me).  It’s the triumph of what actually matters (being married) over what seems Incredibly Important At The Time (ripped stockings, rain).  It’s a lesson for us all, married or not, in every day life.

Over to you, Sarah.  And congratulations!:

Photograph by the talented Naomi Sampson

This is my Dad and me. I got married to Adam a couple of weeks ago on the 7th July in Robin Hoods Bay, North Yorkshire.

The weather leading up to the wedding had been awful, with flood warnings and torrential rain forecast. This had resulted in a very stressed out bride to be, and when I woke up on the morning of my wedding to see no rain but thick fog, I wasn’t a very happy bunny. My parents, bridesmaid and photographer all said it didn’t matter – that it would be unusual and like something from a ‘Bronte’ novel. I was still unsure, and as I was getting my hair and make up done, the sun did break through the fog and I felt calmer and happier.

As the bridal party prepared to leave, I noticed the mist returning, and as I thumped down the stairs I caught my stockings on a nail and tore them at the heel.  Disaster! Suddenly the weather didn’t matter, suddenly I was in bits over a gaping hole in my beautiful ivory stockings! My dear friend Louise, now known as super Louise, seeing me distressed peeled off her tights and gave them to me – I have never been so grateful for anything in my entire life! I rushed back upstairs, changed in to them, and suddenly felt calm, happy and ready!

This photo captures those feelings which flooded over me, and as I walked through the village on my dads arm, gazing at the mist around me – smiling at the tourists in the town, I felt silly at the prospect of worrying about such a little thing as the weather. Later in the day, during my Dad’s speech, he spoke of how proud he was to walk me through the village, he got quite emotional, as did I – so this photo means alot to me, the melting away of nerves and the beginning of a beautiful day.

Categories: Any Other Photo

1. Posted July 27, 2012 at 7:59 am | Permalink

What a beautiful and impossibly romantic photo :) It is funny how worries suddenly melt away as the day begins properly.

2. Posted July 27, 2012 at 8:11 am | Permalink

This photo is brilliant! It’s brilliant!

3. Posted July 27, 2012 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Beautiful. Love the tourists’ excited reactions. And the wonderful friend offering her tights brought a tear to my eye- how lovely.

4. Kate S
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 9:44 am | Permalink

What a lovely photo and such an emotive description! I’ve just shed a tear.

5. Peridot
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 9:46 am | Permalink

Lovely! Although I do second the Bronte comments about fog…

6. Posted July 27, 2012 at 9:48 am | Permalink

Absolutely beautiful. I got married on the 23 June and it rained cats and dogs as I was getting ready… but it didn’t matter. At all. Having the people you love surround you with smiles on their faces more than makes up for rain showers and ripped stockings. Stunning photo and story. Sigh.. x

7. Mahj
    Posted July 27, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

This photo is beautiful. It’s so ethereal.

xoxo

8. Posted July 27, 2012 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Gorgeous, gorgeous photo. And a wonderful write-up, perfect reminder that the only important thing is the love.

9. Posted July 27, 2012 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Love the colours in this photo and the tourists look SO happy to see you.
    Great photo and story- you’re so right about the little things not mattering really and it’s always good to have a helpful friend around in the morning! Congratulations on your wedding xx

10. Posted July 27, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

I love this – congratulations to you both! Proud dads get me every time.

• Jo S
      Posted July 28, 2012 at 12:29 am | Permalink

What a beautiful photo. Such a proud dad and a caring loyal friend couldn’t ask for more on your wedding day x

11. Posted July 29, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

The sign of a true friend…they’ll give the tights off their legs for you. Love it!

12. Posted July 29, 2012 at 11:23 am | Permalink

I so can’t wait to see the rest of Sarah’s photos. It was such a beautiful day, in spite of the mist! And I love the tourists in the background – it was ace how the wedding took over the whole town for the day. And her dad was so proud, his speech was lovely, he cried, and he didn’t use the phrase ‘top of the range’ or moan about the cost once (we almost fainted with shock).

13. Ricki
    Posted August 1, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Beautiful photo and completely sums up why the small things do not matter. I’m with Sarah, I’m a sucker for photos of emotional dads, as she knows!