Weekend wonderings seems to be naturally becoming quite food and drink related…does that say something about where our heads are at the weekend?!
Anyway, this recipe is brilliant. I can categorically state that, having been on the receiving end of the finished article several times in my short time in KL, as it is a Chloe Lodge special. In fact, it has become somewhat famous amongst our friends here, and even non-bakers have been inspired to make it, and are now converts.
I’ve had this gem in my handwritten recipe book for almost fifteen years. It’s originally a Waitrose recipe – good old Waitrose! It’s a simple cake for simple pleasure and who would have thought but it’s actually quite healthy.
It’s quick and easy to whip up and even ‘why would you eat a cake made of vegetables’ die-harders can be persuaded. And for delicious individual cakes – use a mini muffin tray and top them with lashings of icing, perfect for parties, big and little kids love them.
I often double the recipe as it’s way too delicious to resist…
1 x 150g pot of natural yoghurt
110g (4oz) grated carrots
75g (3oz) raisins
10ml (2 tsp) cinnamon
110g (4oz) soft light brown sugar
150g (5oz) self raising flour (wholemeal or white)
2 eggs, beaten
Now for the not-so-healthy bit…
1 x 125g soft cream cheese
50g (2oz) softened butter
225g (8oz) icing sugar, sifted
1. Pre-heat oven to 180C/ 350F
2. Combine yoghurt, carrots, raisins, cinnamon, soft light brown sugar, flour and eggs.
3. Place in a greased & lined 20cm tin and place in pre-heated oven.
4. Cook for 30-35 mins
5. Mix cream cheese, butter & icing sugar in a food processor until smooth
6. Remove cake and cool on a wire rack.
7. Spread topping over cake and cut into squares