So here we are, at the end of our very first week in our new home. What do you think? Are you settled here yet? Finding your way around? Anything you’d really like us to change? Any gratuitous love you’d like to give us? No, ok. Right…on with today’s AOP.
Except, today we’re not giving you an AOP (hah, tricked you, didn’t we. Ahem. Sorry, had an affogato at lunch and after 9 months of no caffeine, coffee currently leads to a slightly batshit crazy Clare.)
So yes, this week, in honour of our brand-spanking-new, so-pretty-I-want-to-lick-it, Any Other Photo button, we decided we wanted to have a bit of a re-cap on some of the utterly fabulous AOPs we have had over the past eighteen months.
Any Other Photo grew from a tiny little idea that popped into my head one boring sunday afternoon, and it has snowballed into being one of my absolute favourite elements of this site. It just defines what we’re all about here. It mixes beautiful pictures with beautiful moments. It is about weddings, but not about chair sashes or napkins (although it could be if you really wanted it to be). Every week is different. Every person has a different take on it. There are one’s that make me snort so that coffee comes out through my nose, and ones that make me actually blub into my breakfast. I love seeing the different moments that stand out at each and every wedding, and it just goes to show how each wedding is perfect for each individual couple. No need for cookie cutter weddings here. Do what makes YOU feel right, and then celebrate it.
We’ve chosen a few of our favourites to share here. Actually, that’s a lie. Do you know how hard it is to pick favourites? We could have picked each and every one for different reasons, so this is really just a selection, to remind us all what a diverse series this really is…(and to encourage YOU to send yours in. You know who we’re talking to. You. The one’s of you who are married and haven’t sent one in yet. Stop making excuses. We do want to see it. We are interested. It is something we’d like to see. Your writing is good enough. See, there are no excuses.)
For the utterly brilliant description and the realisation that something you DON’T want to do (get married, have people looking at you) can transform into being the only thing that makes sense.
For the best family tribute we’ve ever had. Although Ginny’s gave it a good run for its money
For making us break the rules. For reminding us of history, family, love and of the people who made us who we are. Who we could never have been married without.
For the best articulation of The Wedding Fear we’ve ever read
For laughter like it should be at a wedding. Sheer joy.
For making us feel humble, and reminding us that actually, all that matters, is the getting married.
So there you have it readers. A tiny tiny sample of the utterly brilliant AOPs that we’ve had on these here peachy pages. I suggest you head on over to that button on the right over there, explore, and then let us know which
one fifteen are your favourite.
Win a pop art portrait!
And as if you needed an incentive for that, we are also running ANOTHER competition. Yep. Another one. And this is yet another stunner. I actually need one of these portraits. Need one people. First….let me show you an example…
Yep. Awesome isn’t it. Al of Allan Williams Artwork will take any photograph you like, and make it into a watercolour pop art-style picture. And in case you needed proof of the talent, see the picture below with reader Frankie and her husband Ben (yes, Ben of Rarebright designs, he of beautiful-survey-graphics fame) with the picture that they had done by Al.
Also? I want a pink house. But that’s by the by.
So yes, the lucky reader who wins today’s competition will be the proud owner of a watercolour pop art-style picture based on any photo that they choose. It can have up to two people in the picture, so perhaps a picture of the two of you from your wedding, as above? Perhaps a present for your intended? Perhaps you could get one done of friends for their wedding day? Or just a picture of you and your BFF/sister/mother/next door neighbour/person who you met once. Or you know. Just you.
So how do you win one of these beauties? Simples. Just:
1.Leave a comment below letting us know which is your favourite AOP (there are a few to choose from) and
2. we’ll use the random number generator to select the winner.
3. If you fancy, you can also tell us who you’d have in your picture, but that’s totally just for fun.
The T’s and C’s are pretty standard, but make sure you read them anyway, yes?
* The prize is a pop art style portrait up to A2 size painted by the artist and comes unframed.
* There is no cash alternative.
* Winners need to have a UK postal address to which we can send the prize.
* The prize will be posted to the winners via Royal Mail special delivery, and the winner will be given the special delivery number to track their prize. The artist can have no responsibility for prizes which go missing while in transit.
* Allan would like to show a small picture of the final portrait on his website. However, don’t worry, the winning portrait will not be used in any other publicity material, unless specifically pre-agreed with the winner.
* Winner’s chosen photo must be received by the artist either via post or email by 31st May 2012 otherwise prize becomes invalid.
* Every attempt will be made to have the winner’s portrait completed as soon as possible, but the artist reserves the right for it to take up to three months from the date the photo is received.
* Winner’s portrait can have up to two people in it.
* Entry closes at midnight on Wednesday 14th March.
What are you all waiting for? Go and find your favourite AOP, and let us know what it is below.