Eternal Phwoar…

Remember that crush you had on Jason Donovan/Ronan Keating/Billy from Neighbours as a teenager? That all consuming, overwhelming, crushing adoration for a man you’d likely never meet but oh  GOD if you ever did he’d obviously fall madly in love with you and abandon fame and fortune to be by your side forever? You know the kind of crazy love I mean, I know you do.

I’m a bit of tart when it comes to appreciating a pretty man, it has to be said. Strictly window shopping, obviously, but I don’t think there’s any harm in acknowledging an aesthetically pleasing male form. My twitter feed during the recent series of Strictly Come Dancing was 99% drooling raving about the delectable Harry Judd…

…and I will hold my hands up and admit that I have had a somewhat, erm…inappropriate dream about Michael Weatherley.

And speaking of Billy from Neighbours, or rather, Chase from the epic ‘House’…
These three ridiculously wonderful looking men are on my ‘Fantasy Husbands*’ list, along with Prince Harry (as my friend Sara says, ‘all the fun and none of the responsibility’) and Phil Spencer of ‘Phil and Kirsty’ fame…don’t judge me, it’s the voice. It’s all in good fun and oh my, they’re lovely to look at. Just as a point of interest, Phil’s ‘list’ consists solely of Fearne Cotton. Weird, yes?
So, a few crushes and a healthy appreciation of a chiselled jaw and big blue eyes. Not a problem Until, that is, I found myself regressing back to the days of the Ronan Keating Obsession. The days of notebook scribbling, constant googling and trying out my name with his tagged on the end. And it all started with the ITV drama Eternal Law. If you follow me on Twitter, you might have seen my conversations with Emma and Frankie. Conversations that spawned the hashtag #eternalphwoar, so developed by Emma’s husband after he grew bored of her dribbling over the leading man. We three not only loved the idea of the programme, (if you haven’t watched it, sad times for you. You’ve missed out.) but fell head over heels for the delectable, scrumptious, totally weird-crush-central Sam West…
I can safely say that if all 5 of my ‘fantasy husbands’ turned up on my doorstep tomorrow declaring undying love and unending reserves of turkish delight, I’d turn them down in the hope that one day, Sam West might fall in love with me. I think it’s the character I’m in love with, and the epic love story running through the series doesn’t hurt, but whatever it is, as Emma put it, ‘I’ve not had this kind of crush on anyone since I was 14′… and it’s jolly good fun.
Do you have a list, readers? Who’s on it? I want photos. I demand photos. It is ok to have a list, isn’t it?
*I’ve been instructed to confirm that this man is my actual fantasy husband. Duh.
Chiselled jaw and big blue eyes…I’m nothing if not consistent!
Categories: Frippery

1. Jenny Lane
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 7:14 am | Permalink

See I have girl crushes. I do have boy crushes too (hello Thierry Henry, I was so happy you came back to Arsenal despite not giving a monkeys about football) but I love Katy Perry and Zooey Deschanel. I think we would be really good friends. And I want to raid their wardrobes so bad. Happily my beloved's girl crushes are the same, so there is harmony in our house when we watch New Girl and Katy Perry videos :)

2. Posted February 7, 2012 at 7:58 am | Permalink

Michael Fassbender. That is all.

3. Posted February 7, 2012 at 8:10 am | Permalink

I have a weirdly intense crush on Lee Mead of Any Dream Will Do and married to Denise Van Shiny Legs fame. It is indeed like nothing since I was about 13 years old. During the programme I was determined to marry him. And you know how when you're 13 and you know deep down that if you DID meet the object of your frenzied obsession, you'd turn into a twittering hyperventilating wreck? Well last year I saw Lee on the street with my Mum and sister after seeing him in Legally Blonde. My sister and I genuinely stood there and failed to breathe, or move, or do anything for 2 minutes, while he walked past us and away. Full on 13-yr old regression. And I didn't get an autograph or a photo, let alone a marriage proposal. Damn.

4. Fee
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 8:52 am | Permalink

Possibly controversial but Hugh Laurie as House…. Sigh. His rudeness is HOT.

5. Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Um, Pepe Guardiola, the manager of Barcelona FC. NO, I don't know why either. Something about the beautifully cut suits he wears…

6. Becca
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:12 am | Permalink

For me….
    1. Hugh Grant as Daniel Cleaver
    2. Rupert Penry-Jones as Captain Wentworth in Persuasion
    3. Colin Firth as Mr Darcy in Andrew Davies' P & P

Can you tell I have a thing for posh boys? The Boy is not posh and has middle class guilt which is a PAIN. What is wrong with shopping at Waitrose?!

I have girl crushes where I spend all my time looking at Jennifer Anniston's arms muttering "one day mine will look like that".

Also I googled Rupert to send you a picture and it turns out he's MARRIED to that one from Ballykissangel. Bit miffed. I saw him once in Boots the Chemist when they filmed Spooks outside my old office. Not the ideal place to see a crush and I have never thrown my purchases away so quickly.

7. Becca (again)
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Sorry I forgot to add Jose Mourinho. I'd like him to talk to me and tell me I am his special one.

He makes me giggle. HOT.

8. Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:15 am | Permalink

Scottish Rugby legend Chris Paterson and Dave Grohl. One is squeaky clean the other is all kinds of rugged sexy. *drool*

Suffice to say Mr P is not a rugby legend (doesn't do sport PERIOD) and doesn't play in a rock band but is awesome in all manner of other subtle ways.

9. Sophie
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:19 am | Permalink

I was OBSESSED with Mr Keating for all of my teenage years….and then went to see Boyzone two years ago (aged 25) when they reformed. They say you should never go back – it can't possibly be the same as when you're 14 – but my GOD! He was as hot as ever. And then he turned out to be a big old cheater. My husband says all these celebs are the same but I was genuinely SHOCKED – not Ronan, surely!

Oh and Becca – I'd never even heard of Penry-Jones before I watched Persuasion. He came on screen and I actually hyperventilated! HOW smoking hot??

10. Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:34 am | Permalink

Will Schuster in Glee. Oh the dreams I've had about him.

And I don't think I need to remind you of my/Anna K's love for Jack Bauer.

11. Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:42 am | Permalink

A big fat YES to Captain Wentworth. I mean Rupert Penry-Jones (he always wears breeches, long boots and a tailcoat, right?). I pretty much always fall for characters rather than actors per se – yes to Darcy too and I liked Angel from Buffy and (ahem) Edward from Twlight (book only, people, not the film. I am not a paedo). I clearly go for repression and intensity. Which is odd as I fell for my fiance because he made me laugh and because he seemed so laid back. Perhaps I recognise that brooding intensity might be a tad tricky to live with.

And none of it explains my very, VERY guilty crush on Philip Glenister in the Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes series.

12. amy f
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Becca I am so with you on those three! And I want to know what was in your basket. Also Robert Downey Jr – yum!

13. Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:56 am | Permalink

Ladies you have got wicked taste!

Becca-oh YES to Rupert, I too was all kinds of confused when I found out he was married to ol' Dervla. Confused and JEALOUS….

Oooh and Robert Downey Jr…which then reminds me by association of Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock-YUM.

And Jenny, I adore Zooey Deschanel too and have a bordeline obsession with her sister Emily, who I think might be the most beautiful woman on the planet.

14. Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:58 am | Permalink

Rupert PJ – isherwood the one also in spooks??

15. Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:59 am | Permalink

That should be *is he* damn autocorrect

16. Posted February 7, 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

C-yep, the super dishy posh blonde one from a couple of years ago. THEN there was the stupidly beautiful Richard Armitage…Spooks had some impressive castings over the years come to think of it!

17. Posted February 7, 2012 at 10:06 am | Permalink

Becca, Colin Firth as Mr Darcy is actually the perfect man.

18. Posted February 7, 2012 at 10:14 am | Permalink

Oh Aisling, thank you for brightening up my morning – as soon as I opened up my Google reader and saw this title I had a feeling I'd appreciate it! Damn you though for filling my head with Samuel West so early in the morning….how am I supposed to get any work done now?

I think maybe we should have an Eternal Phwoar day when it's out on DVD, just so we can properly appreciate the…erm…plotline.

Bella – completely with you on Michael Fassbender after spending a long flight watching Jane Eyre and the latest X-Men film. Can't bring myself to tarnish my mental image of him by watching Shame though….

I loved Rupert Penry-Jones in Spooks, to the extent that he has been renamed Rupert Sexy-Jones in our house (oops, objectification is wrong, Emma). That said, I'm really not fancying him in Whitechapel, so it must be another case of fancying the character more than the actor.

Right, must stop thinking about men and get on with some work…

x

19. Posted February 7, 2012 at 10:25 am | Permalink

Evidently I have a thing for spies. And geeky music club teachers. And posh boys.

20. Posted February 7, 2012 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Oh God, I SWOONED over Michael Fassbender in Jane Eyre. In fact I think I wrote a whole blog post about it, with a close-up shot of his arse. Here you go. You're welcome.

As for other objects of my hypothetical affection, I've always had a thing for Ralph Fiennes, which is a bit weird considering he's usually kind of evil in everything. Might also explain my former crush on Oliver Reed as Bill Sykes which I think had my mother worried for a while…

Aisling, when you said "Phil's list consists solely of Fearne Cotton", I totally thought you were talking about Phil Spencer's list and had no idea how the hell you knew who was on his fantasy wife list (surely Kirstie is on there?).

21. Sarah
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Mine are mainly dark haired, indie Northerners, rather than posh spies! Most recently I've had a strange thing for Kenny Doughty who plays Sean in 'Stella' on Sky1. Weird. His hair is bad in this partciular programme, but somehow it doesn't put me off? I think I'm on my own here?!

Oh, and Liam Neeson.

Girl crushes have started recently too – as in becoming obsessed with certain people's hair and general amazingness. Latest is Sharon Horgan. I would like to be like her when I grow up.

22. Liz
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 11:22 am | Permalink

Yes, yes, yes to Harry Judd!!(may have rewound the bits of strictly he was sans top!)

Also, Bruce Parry – he is rugged and can survive anywhere, doesn't seem scared of anything and is genuinely interested in people. Hot!

23. Posted February 7, 2012 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Liz… See our previous post on this for serious Bruce Parry love!

24. Posted February 7, 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Firstly Aisling I was so delighted when I saw the title of this post – ha!

Secondly agree with the poshy contingent. Prince William, Ben Miller(from Armstrong and Miller – I know SO WRONG!!!), Hugh Dennis (the dad from Outnumbered!) all yes…

I went to see a play a couple of years ago and Rupert P-J was in it and we happened to bump into him afterwards- there's a photo of me and my friend with him lurking somewhere! My sister in law loves him and has never forgiven me.

Still laughing at "Rupert Sexy Jones". And the fact this post has 24 comments before lunchtime. Hahaha.

X

25. Posted February 7, 2012 at 11:56 am | Permalink

My burning crush at the moment is Andre Villas Boas, the Chelsea manager, but always and forever there will be – Jose Mourinho, Barack Obama and pretty much any and all characters from The West Wing.

26. Posted February 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

Oh Catherine-yes to the Chelsea manager… that man wears a suit VERY well.

27. Posted February 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm | Permalink

Jason Segel. Lanky, dorky, adorable, hilarious – just like my Sam.

SOPPY.

28. Posted February 7, 2012 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

Catherine, finally somebody who has similar taste to me. I also fancy Joas Mourinho, and have a soft spot for Barack Obama. I too quite like Andre Villas Boas. Never seen The West Wing though.

I really don't get the fuss over Harry Judd, too posh.

I have some gossip on Michael Fassbender, which I can't share on a public forum, but let's just say, he got struck off my list.

My current list is:

Jason Mamoa
    Gerard Butler
    Jonathan Rhys Meyer

Used to include Ryan Gosling, but gone off him recently. I can be fickle with my celebrity crushes.

Was watching six nations – Thierry Dusautoir, French rugby player, and oooh la la. Think he might need to be added to my list.

29. L
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 12:38 pm | Permalink

Going to throw David Tennant into the ring. He's really my only celeb crush but even then it's a bit of a minor one. I'm not really a big celebrity fancier!

30. Posted February 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm | Permalink

Is it wrong that on reading that there was negative gossip about Michael Fassbender my initial thought was "but Mr Rochester would NEVER hurt Jane again…"?

Might have some minor problems distinguishing between characters and actors over here.

Other weird crushes = Prof. Brian Cox and Gareth Malone. Apparently I definitely have a thing for geeks.

I'm also completely in love with John Barrowman, even though he's clearly gay. I could live with that.

31. Posted February 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm | Permalink

Ps: Katie, if you're watching the 6 Nations keep an eye out for Jamie Roberts (Welsh centre). Yum.

32. Becca
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

How could I forget Ryan Gosling. I recently watched that AWFUL but BRILLIANT film with the one from the American Office. Ryan Gosling can make me over (or under or any which way) whenever he likes. Not with you on Volde-Volde-Volde-mort. My ex looked a bit like him (not as Voldy-mort – I'm not nuts) and since then he's been scratched off the list.

I also love Jamie Rednapp A LOT. Especially when Louise was on that size zero thing and he said he liked women with curves (so Louise is like a six but I'm sure he wouldn't mind a 10-12). I literally buy everything he ever wears on the M & S Ad.

Talking of M & S I also have a thing for Ryan Reynolds (although he's buffer than my usual slimmed down choices). They have a cardboard cut out of him in M & S and I WANT to run out with it.

My shopping basket didn't contain anything weird or anything….but I am 12 and got all embarassed and blushed AWFULLY.

I also forgot Sherlock. The Bot had to leave the room on Sunday nights as if he moved I'd scream "don't ruin my concentration on those CHEEKBONES". He's as close as can be personality wise with The Boy (i.e. really annoying to live with). Geek chic is the new sex chic.

33. Posted February 7, 2012 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Ooooh, and adding Jake Gyllenhall to my already shamefully extensive list. Even if I'm not so bothered I can spell his name!

34. Posted February 7, 2012 at 2:13 pm | Permalink

Oh, Becca – thanks for the reminder. Not sure how I could forget Mr Cumberbatch. Sigh.

I did have quite a David Tennant crush during his Doctor Who reign, but I now find Matt Smith strangely alluring. Think I just have a thing for somewhat quirky men. On TV.

I really am still 14.

35. mahj
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Bella damnit you beat me to it! Can we share the Fassy pleeeeaaaassse?!

xoxo

36. Posted February 7, 2012 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

Yeah man, although Mahj where I come from that word means something completely different…..

Jason S all the way, Penny x

37. mahj
    Posted February 7, 2012 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Oo, what does Fassy mean down your neck of the woods?! I say you have him Mon-Wed. We have half a day each Thurs and then I have him Fri-Sun. Deal?

xoxo