Any Other Photo {Sarah and Stewart}

Oh ruddy hell.  I want to say something witty here.  But I can’t, because LOOK AT THE LOVE.

Ahem.  Resuming normal service.

This is a different take on an Any Other Photo.  It’s both a moving tribute and a very powerful moment. The photo shows Sarah and someone who made this moment, her whole day, possible.  Sarah is not afraid to admit that, and she perfectly sets the scene that put her here, the split second Murakami Photography clicked the shutter.

And look at the look, look at the love there.

Happy Friday, readers. Over to Sarah:

Check out that gorgeous smile!  The beautiful young woman on the left hand side is my lovely ‘big-little’ sister.

She’s supported me through untold dramas, made me vomit because I’ve laughed too hard, wiped away my tears and taught me to be a better person.  When it came to choosing my maid of honour, she was the natural choice (not that she’d have let me get married without her in that role!) and throughout the roller coaster that is planning a wedding she was my rock.  Whether dress fittings-turned-rantings, worrying about divorced parents and their new partners, sewing almost 100 hessian pouches by hand for the orders of service* or organising the best hen party known to womankind, my sister took it in her stride like some sort of super hero (though thankfully one who wears her underwear underneath her trousers). You name the problem, she solved it with a grin on her face, a huge hug for her big sister and a glass of bubbles in hand.  I am beyond grateful to her.

When I look at this photo I’m transported instantly back to that moment.  Just 45 minutes earlier I had married a wonderful man and now I was standing in the glorious, weather forecast-defying sunshine, surrounded by the family and friends who mattered most to me in the world all with a calming jar of gin & tonic in hand.  A fabulous let-it-all-sink-in-moment that I shared with my beautiful sister, my best friend, our faces full of joy, love and pride for each other.

Zog, you may get Nigel Mansell and Nelson Mandela mixed up but you’re my hero. Don’t ever change, I love you just as you are.

* erm, seemed like a good idea at the time…
Categories: Any Other Photo

1. amy f
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 7:34 am | Permalink

I was reading along thunking "ah, bless" until the last sentence when I genuinely spat my tea out! Sweet and brilliant AOP.

2. Posted December 16, 2011 at 7:39 am | Permalink

I'm getting married TOMORROW (eh holy crap!) and you just summed up exactly how I feel about both of my amazing sisters.

Sisters are, without doubt, the best of all people on the planet.

Such a gorgeous pic and heartfelt words :) lovely!

Steff xx

3. Anonymous
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 7:49 am | Permalink

Beautiful sentiment and amazing photo. Love it!! x San

4. mahj
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Aww, this gave me total melt!

xoxo

5. Posted December 16, 2011 at 9:04 am | Permalink

I love this. Lovely sentiments, beautifully written, gorgeous photo, hilarious final line and striped straws. What more could you want from an AOP?!

6. Kate Harvey
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 9:11 am | Permalink

Lovely photo and wonderfully written sentiment. Makes me wish I had a sister!

7. Anonymous
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 9:16 am | Permalink

What a lovely photo, and the words to match.

8. Posted December 16, 2011 at 9:30 am | Permalink

Thanks to Anna K and AOW for posting this, and thank you, lovely ladies for your kind words.

My sister is ace and I hope reading this will remind her just how brilliant I think she is. Sisters really are the best!

Steff – have a fabulous day tomorrow, enjoy every moment! Be prepared for your face to hurt from smiling on Sunday!

SJM x

9. Alex D
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Another ruddy lovely post, Sarah! I was so privileged to be at your wonderful wedding (it really was the best I've ever been to, chaps!)

Beautiful photo.

P.S. I also now want a sister, can I nab yours? Ta.

xx

10. Nicole M
    Posted December 16, 2011 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Sarah what a beautiful piece. It is lovely to have those memories and such a fantastic relationship with your sister!

11. Posted December 16, 2011 at 11:34 am | Permalink

Beautiful!

12. Posted December 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm | Permalink

As I've said on Twitter today, this post makes me wish I had a sister…there's just so much love and shared wisdom and experience.

LOVE.

Thank you, Sarah.

P.S You and your sister could totes do one of those modelling shoots-like the ones where they have the stunning mother/daughter combos? Only stunning sisters…

P.P.S GOOD LUCK TOMORROW STEFF! Happy Wonderful Wedding Day! x

2 Trackbacks

• By Just Married Part One: Sarah M on March 26, 2012 at 6:34 am

[...] wedding story by Sarah M.  The only glimpse we’ve seen so far of  her beautiful wedding is her Any Other Photo.  I’ve been chomping at the bit to read more; and readers, it’s worth the wait.  [...]

• By The Friends Who Made Me Me on August 6, 2012 at 7:00 am

[...] Zogga. Most likely to come out with an absolute howler of a comment (see previous confusion between Nigel Mansell and Nelson Mandela) but, without a doubt, the owner of the most accurate judge-of-character-ometer I’ve ever [...]