Weekend Wonderings

During a twitter conversation last week, the lovely Bella mentioned that if we’d not yet discovered it, we might like to check out Letters Of Note. It wasn’t until later on in the day that I got a chance to have a look, which was rather lucky really, as I then spent hours flicking through and reading delicious letter after letter.

The premise of the website is lovely – it’s an (and I quote) ”attempt to gather and sort fascinating letters, postcards, telegrams, faxes, and memos”.

It had me sighing in delight, giggling to myself, and telling myself that I must write more letters.

And then I found this letter

And it might just have been my hormones and my current state, but the emotion and the reason behind this letter hit me hard.

The fact that the father wrote this to his son whilst he was sat next to him playing with his toys; the fact that this was written by a normal person – not a great literary icon; and the fact that he even had to write this letter in the first place. It all just got to me, and so I had to share it with you….as a reminder that life just isn’t fair.

Image taken from Letters of Note - I highly recommend you go and explore. You will lose hours though, be warned.

The father finally succumbed to his fight with leukaemia the following year, age 38, leaving behind Christopher, age 3.
Categories: Weekend Wonderings

1. Posted October 15, 2011 at 8:59 am | Permalink

Bloomin nora woman!! I'm supposed to be eating my oats not crying into them. A poignant piece and I know it won't just be me that this speaks to, so so many of us are affected by cancer x

2. Posted October 15, 2011 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Just read this again, which was a bit silly as I already cried when I first read it this morning (before even getting out of bed!) and now trying to stifle emotions on the train!

What a wonderful letter to have from any close relative after they've gone. I think I would want to write one of these letters anyway, as you never know what might happen – sometimes you don't have time to prepare (god forbid but awful things do happen) and it would also be nice to have these thoughts and hopes to look back on if (hopefully) the worst doesn't happen.

Thanks for the link, off to try and find some of the more funny ones to entertain me on the 4.5 hour journey to London today!

(Although that could end up being just as embarrassing if I burst out giggling!)

3. Mahj
    Posted October 15, 2011 at 2:53 pm | Permalink

This is letter is utterly beautiful and poignant and what an amazing thing for his son to always carry with him. Unfortunately too many of us know what it is like to lose someone to cancer and its devasting. I hope this letter helped Christopher realise what an obviously loving father he had.

I will definitely check out the website but may need to steel myself first!

xoxo

4. Posted October 16, 2011 at 6:36 am | Permalink

I am away with work and up early- I can never sleep well in hotels. Logged on to catch up and now I am in floods of tears. I cannot imagine the emotion Christopher felt when he read this… What a loving father, it is truly unfair that his life was taken short.

Robyn x

5. Posted October 16, 2011 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Oh my goodness my heart hurts – what a beautiful letter.

So glad you like the website, it's so amazing that letters live on and on for people like us to read, to debate, to really feel.

My mum used to write letters to my sister and I every time she went to work abroad – I'm sure she still has them somewhere, and I have promised myself I will do that for my own children in the future.

6. Frankie
    Posted October 18, 2011 at 12:20 pm | Permalink

Absolute floods of tears when I read this at the weekend. Beautiful. Heart-wrenching.