I Think…. {Aisling}

I was inspired to put together this post whilst perusing the Interweb as I lay in the bath. If it doesn’t work, you can blame the fact that my baths are boil-a-lobster hot and that I wallow in them for a minimum of 90 minutes. Maximum duration depends on injury time, extra time and penalties. Yep, that’s right. I’m a football widow. Except, not so much. Phil calls himself a Bath Widower and declares he HAS to watch the football BECAUSE I’m in the bath and he gets lonely. A likely story. It works out perfectly actually, we get ‘me’ time at the same time and with zero effort involved, bar running the bath and the repeat trips to the fridge for beer. Win! How do you lovelies get your ‘me’ time?

I digress. I read this article whilst in the bath (I have to defend my taste in newspapers here-it is ONLY the online version and it is ONLY for the tacky celebrity/so-called-entertainment news…I swear it. Please don’t think less of me…please?!) and I loved it. It made me feel oh-so better about the fact that my must have item is my little pot of the Rose-tinted Vaseline and that Pond’s cream gives me softer skin than any fancypantshocuspocus million £££ concoction. How how virtuous and fair-maiden I am. Except for the fact I’m currently addicted to Illamasqua Lipstick and am lusting over Shu Uemera eyelash curlers. Hmm. Did someone say fickle…?!

When I was in Australia 7 years ago, I fell in love with this shop. It was just that at the time, a gorgeous little boutiquey store with amazing window displays and a line in resin jewellery that my wannabe-hippy 17 year old self lusted over with  serious passion. Situated in an achingly cool part of Sydney where just walking down the street made me feel like I could probably change the world that very afternoon, it was a delight to while away my afternoons drooling over their merchandise. I was staying with my Auntie and just after arriving home in the UK, on my 18th birthday, a package arrived. A Dinosaur Designs package. Hello, grown-up-ness. Nestled inside, amongst the acres of recycled tissue paper and certificates of authenticity and awesomeness, were 6 shot glasses. (My poor mother, silently berating her younger and impossibly cooler sister….) They’re hand moulded, made of pure resin and they are FLUORESCENT PINK. Um, yes.

They’re probably exactly the same as these adorable juice glasses from their ‘Dino Breaky’ collection. But pink. Fluorescent pink. And actually, almost never mind the Fluorescent Pink Shotglasses of Awesomeness, how amazing would breakfast be if your dining table looked like this in the morning? Beats my hot-cross-bun-in-the-car routine, hands down! Since my 18th birthday, every birthday has seen a parcel of beauty arrive on my doorstep, wherever I’ve been in the world. My Auntie is the BEST. So, next time you pop round to mine for a cuppa, see if you can spot the 5 pieces of resin yumminess… also, go buy something made or resin from these guys, you will thank you. I promise.
Speaking of popping round to mine, have you popped over to Lucy’s recently? Go! Go now! Oh….but come back after! Or, maybe go when you’ve finished here. Whatever. But definitely go.  You see, I had some friends over to play last weekend. You might know them?
Yes! That’s us! Me and Clare! And Anna K! And behind the camera, making the magic (ie. making me photographable) happen is the lovely Lucy! No, I don’t know what Anna is looking at. It couldn’t have been Anna doing inappropriate yoga poses, because Anna is actually in the picture. Anna doing innappropriate yoga poses is what Clare and I were looking at whilst Lucy tried to get us to relax in front of the camera. It worked, by the way. And that girl is bendy. It was a wonderful weekend, filled with photography, food, Russian champagne, cupcakes, kittens, rib-twisting laughter and LOTS of putting the world to rights. There was also a migraine, thanks to yours truly. What can I say, I bring the best gifts to girly weekends. Despite the slight dampening of spirits that a skull-splitting headache will cause, it was honestly the most fun I’ve had in such a long time. It was really special to spend quality time with these three ladies, who, if I’m honest, are the first *real* friends I’ve made as a grown up. Very special indeed. And of course, Lucy took pictures! Lots of them! You can see some of her favourites over on her blog, and soon we’ll have a few more for you to peek at. Why not? It’s not every weekend the worlds bestest just-starting-out wedding photographer takes your picture you know! Unless you’re married to her. Which I’m not. Pfft.
Tomorrow, we’ve got a new kind of post for you. We had an e-mail from AOW reader Esme recently, asking for a little advice regarding the worst of the Wedding Taboos. The Budget. In our back-and-forth-at-least-19-times-a-day e-mails, Clare and I ummed and aahed about the ‘right’ thing to say to Esme. We think we helped a little, infact when I get round to e-mailing her back (Hi Esme!) she and her lovely man might pop down to say Hi! and borrow a mini-marquee from Phil and I for their wedding in July. Excitement! Anyway, whilst we were procrastinating about the B word and all it’s ridiculous and nasty associations, we happened upon the fact that there are 2 of us. Scientific breakthrough this is not, admittedly, but it does mean that when you ask us a question, you get two points of view. Not always that different, but we have two very different weddings and wedding experiences to draw from…why not utilise that? So tomorrow is the first ‘Ask Us’ post that you’ll see…who knows, maybe no-one will ever ask for advice again and the feature wil ‘waah waah waaaaah’ it’s way to the Recycle bin. Or maybe not.
There you have it. What I think. Today, anyway. Cheap beauty buys, Australian resin, lovely ladies and the blog. What’s on your brain today?
Categories: Behind the Scenes at AOW, Uncategorized, Wedding Pretty

1. Posted April 13, 2011 at 9:06 am | Permalink

Your bath story made me smile. Warmth loves a bath that long too – it's my blogging time. He also does the football thing – so that's my catch up with dear girlfriends time.
    Great photographs.

2. Esme
    Posted April 13, 2011 at 9:37 am | Permalink

Right back atcha Aisling!

I hope lots of other people ask you both for advice, because the wise words that I got were genuinely helpful. And it's also nice to see your name on AOW!

Right, how can I get those little resin pots on the gift list…?

xx

P.S. Feeling for you Aisling as a fellow migraine sufferer. They suck.

3. Posted April 13, 2011 at 10:45 am | Permalink

You girls are gorgeous! (Not that I'm surprised.) And those photos are fantastic. Hooray for blogs bringing people together!

4. Posted April 13, 2011 at 3:51 pm | Permalink

"it is ONLY the online version and it is ONLY for the tacky celebrity/so-called-entertainment news…I swear it. Please don't think less of me…please?!"

Haha this is me! Damn them and their evil sucking you in with great tittletattle ways!

5. Posted April 13, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

that photo is tooooo cute.
    sometimes i look at those too, lady :)

6. Roz
    Posted April 13, 2011 at 8:40 pm | Permalink

Fab photos girls :0)

Personally I think you need those eyelash curlers, I bought the gold plated ones & actually cannot now imagine life without them! And from a cost per use perspective they are a budget beauty item in my book! x

7. Anna K
    Posted April 13, 2011 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

I have wanted to get my mitts on this post ever since I read it at work!

The weekend was ruddy brilliant, in every way. Migraine, pfft, it didn't stop us…and you're better now.

Roz, agreed. My eyes thank me for those curlers every day. I made all the girls try them. There was a lot of squealing. In a good way. I was surrounded by long-lashed beauties immediately.

To everyone reading, Aisling and Clare are ridiculously dedicated and are so determined with their blog and are the wittiest people I have ever met. I actually almost ruptured a lung laughing. And Lucy? Hire her now, to photograph you doing anything. Washing up, in the cereal aisle at Tescos, having a nap. She has so much talent she will make you look like a supermodel (but one with personality). She also is a gifted storyteller and has an absurd and sharp sense of humour that nearly caused all three of us to wee.

8. Posted April 13, 2011 at 10:09 pm | Permalink

Ha- thank you all for not judging me re. my online reading habits! Thank you too for the lovely comments on Lucy's amazing photos, we can't wait to share some more with you!

Roz- GOLD PLATED EYELASH CURLERS?! I need those ones! NEED! It's my birthday next month…do you think Phil is reading this?!

Anna-how much do I owe you and when are you taking up your post as our personal publicist?!

x

9. Roz
    Posted April 14, 2011 at 7:51 am | Permalink

They are 24k gold as well (I just checked the box!) but think they are only £25 quid!!! Defo think they should be on the birthday list :0) x

10. Posted April 14, 2011 at 10:20 pm | Permalink

Firstly, my camera does not lie. These girls really are gorgeous, not that any of you doubted that for a minute.

Secondly, gold plated eyelash curlers? Now you're talking!

Thirdly, I would be very interested in photographing any of you in a cereal aisle. Please someone hire me to do that. Then I can buy the gold eyelash curlers and my life will be complete, thank you x

PS. nice hint about your birthday Aisling

One Trackback

• By Ask Us…The B Word. on February 29, 2012 at 5:30 pm

[...] planned for their day that will really make it theirs and are also managing to save elsewhere by borrowing mini marquees from strangers bloggers! It’s going to be stunning, folks. That’s how I’m able to look at weddings that [...]