A little help from my friends…(please)

As you will know by now, I am totally non-creative. I like need things around me to look pretty, but I am not capable of doing the prettying myself. So this is yet another plea for help. Look, there are only just over 3 weeks to go now, so there can’t be many more things I can ask for help on, so humour me on this one yes? Thanks.
Escort Cards.
It has long been the plan to have escort cards rather than a table plan. Mainly because the thought of making one of those table plan things scared me, and also a bit because of my three month (totally un-reciprocated) love affair with Style Me Pretty, where just about every wedding had a seriously cool idea for escort cards.
Like many things in the wedding planning though, we always thought that we would come up with a cool idea ‘nearer the time’. Well now is ‘nearer the time’, and we are still no closer to an idea. Let alone a cool one.
Well actually I lied. We do sort of have an idea. And this is where the help comes in. Let me tell you what’s going to happen here. I am going to describe to you what we have, and you, you creative cool and all round fabulous lot, are going to come up with super ideas to make it into a ‘cool escort card’ idea. Deal? Good. Glad we’re clear on that.
So. Ages ago, I saw these fabulous Penguin front cover postcards in a shop in the UK, and bought them, because you never know when you might need 100 postcards with front covers of vintage books do you? And it seems like now could be the perfect time to use them?
They will look like this on the front….
And like this on the back…
And on the back we’ll write the name, and the table number.
That is the end of our idea. I know. Genius right. Or not. But again, humour me.
So people. How can we possibly display them?
I know I know. Hanging is the obvious choice because then you can see both sides. But 70 postcards is a lot to have hanging anywhere, and we don’t really have one big long wall. Also, if we were to have them hanging, what on? And hanging with what?
Or any other ideas as to how to display them? Come on people, I know you are just sitting there brimming with ideas as to how to make our wedding day super special?
In other news, The Man asked me this morning if I would manage taking only a carry on bag to the UK for our wedding and then subsequent honeymoon. You can imagine my reaction.

*UPDATE! What I eventually did, thanks to all of the fabulous comments, is now shown here*

Categories: Wedding Planning

1. Posted October 12, 2010 at 9:29 am | Permalink

Oh poo I just wrote a huge idea and lost everything I'd put! Aagh!

I was thinking you could use old bookshelves or simply have table, a librarian style stamp with date of your wedding on. You could have cards in an old fashioned filing system before barcodes were used at libraries.

2. Posted October 12, 2010 at 9:34 am | Permalink

I saw a great Idea of using a postcard/card stand, you know the ones that you spin around? If you could find or borrow one of those even better a vintage one, that would be cool. With I could remember what blog I saw it! If I find will let you know.

somthing like this anyway http://www.lcassidy.org/actors.htm

Louisa From Denote Stationery

3. Posted October 12, 2010 at 10:11 am | Permalink

The key with escort cards is to make it really easy to find your name, while still letting people appreciate the visual effect of the cards. How about a non-Christmassy Christmas card holder on a table? That way people just peer behind to find their name rather than having to flip them around. If you can't find such a holder, finding a tree branch and spraying it with old gold spray paint or similar, hole-punching the cards and tying them to the tree with cotton or twine could work.

4. Posted October 12, 2010 at 10:23 am | Permalink

I have an idea that involves hole punches and ribbon. But then most of my creative ideas involve hole punches and ribbon. I'm not very good at this…

5. Posted October 12, 2010 at 11:25 am | Permalink

I love the postcards! It's a difficult one as you need the guests to easily be able to see their name. One idea could be to just have enough postcards for one per table so say you have 10 tables you hang up ten postcards and write the names of everyone on that table on the back. To make this better you can could scan and print duplicates of those ten postcards and put them on the relevant tables so the guest matches up the postcards to see where they're sitting. Then, as you have loads left over you could put them on the tables for guests to write a note on, find a pretty box for them after the day and you have a cool guest book.

If you go with hanging I like simple pegs and string: http://www.sharynpeavey.com/2009_images/blog-publications/cardline-seacoast10-blog.jpg

And if you want to use a postcard per guest but also don't want to hang them then you could find a box that fits the postcards, make some dividers with letters on and then the guests look for their postcard under the initial of their first or last name (you could decide this and write a not next to the box). Such as this: http://www.etsy.com/listing/58161136/guest-book-box-and-sign-ready-to-ship

Am sure whatever you decide it will look lovely! All the best for your wedding :)

6. Posted October 12, 2010 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

Postcards are lovely!

How about get some of those little mini pegs and pegging them to a washing line type affair? You could use ribbon in a coulr to match your wedding, or some rustic type string?

Those pegs come plain, or in colours or with pretty things stuck on them. See these fab ones –

Good luck! xx

7. Posted October 12, 2010 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

How about using wishing trees? You could use a few trees to hang the escort cards on, sorted either into themes, family sides or guest groups. Each card could be holepunched and tied onto the trees with a pretty ribbon in a bow.

Then when your guests want to leave you a message, you could provide them with additional cards at their table places that they can sign and tie onto the trees.

Just an idea, I love the idea of wishing trees rather than a standard guest book and thought this would be a great way of incorporating one into your wedding :)

Sarah

8. Posted October 12, 2010 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I love love love these cards and just bought some as well!

How about using books stored upright on their spines in some kind of box or drawers. The pages should be loose enough for you to slot the postcards in between in alphabetical order. Maybe with a big penguin letter marker?

9. Posted October 12, 2010 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

Ahhh so cute! Love them, and the display ideas from Louisa and BoT.

Nothing wrong with just laying them name-up on a table if time runs out. If it's a UK wedding obv people will need a poster/chalkboard to explain or someone to man the table too.

10. Posted October 12, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Gorgeous – I love mine but have trouble in sending them. How about buying lovely coloured envelopes (I love paperchase ones) maybe each table a different colour or peach and grey? with the name on the envelope and table number inside. What fun deciding which book cover each person gets to suit them…

11. Posted October 13, 2010 at 12:33 am | Permalink

i'm afraid that the only suggestion i have is to hang them on a clothesline with clothesline pins. so original, right? like no one has ever seen it before on SMP or OnceWed or blahblahblahsomeprettysite.

i'm not very good at this sort of thing.

12. Posted October 13, 2010 at 3:40 am | Permalink

I love the idea of the penguin postcards, BRILLIANT! I love the first suggestion of having them set out on a table with a librarian style stamp that they could stamp as a keepsake or something…Either way, with those cards, it will be amazing!

13. Posted October 13, 2010 at 2:06 pm | Permalink

We had escort cards and although I thought it was brilliant and so style me pretty (!) we explained it to a few guests in advance and they were confused. In the end, we had a sign explaining how to use them which in my head sort of undoes some of the point of them.
    I think the filing system in a cool wooden box would be the most compact and vintagely pleasing idea. I do like the ideas of some kind of stand. But for 70 guests it would take quite a lot of room?
    Lucy x

PS. Love a bit of jeeves and wooster.

One Trackback

• By {On Becoming a Wife} More dreaded details on February 12, 2013 at 2:59 am

[...] so the name stuck. You will have to deal with it. Being creatively challenged (did I mention this before?), I really struggled to know what to give out as the voucher, other than a piece of paper with [...]