Movie Weddings

I was never one of ‘those girls’. You know, the ones who KNOW they are going to get married and KNOW they are going to have the perfect wedding with the fairy-lit marquee and the beautiful man in tails and the clouds of gypsophila and the….um…the swans?! Over on the delectable RMW recently there was a bride who (minus the swans!) executed her perfect ‘Father of the Bride’ day and it was gorgeous. Properly, actually gorgeous. And it got me thinking that there is so much scrumptious and imaginative inspiration in the movies for ‘those girls’ and ‘these girls’ and even ‘that girl’.

Image from here.

The traditional, original, every-little-girl’s-dream-day from the masterpiece that is ‘Father of the Bride’. I’d have had a wedding planner if there was one out there like Fraaaank!

Pic via here.

There is every possibility that this could turn into a Disney Bride post. I mightn’t have been one of ‘those girls’ but I was definitely a Disney Girl. I still have all the VHS’ of all the films in the loft…no VHS player mind you! This was one of my favourites-we have a small river in our garden but getting married on a boat wasn’t a viable option sadly!

Image from here.

Then of course…Oh Carrie. There was The Dress. And then there was The Wedding. As much as I adore The Dress, I adored The Wedding all the more-so sincere and sweet.

Pic from here.

Four Weddings and a Funeral is a beautiful film in my humble opinion. It’s heart-breaking and heart-warming all at once and has the best ending for a film all about weddings. ‘I wondered if you would agree to NOT marry me?’ Sigh…. Yes Hugh Grant, I would happily not marry you and stay with you forever.

What films have given you lovely ladies inspiration for your Big Days? What is your favourite Movie Wedding of all time? I’m excited to hear…will there be one I haven’t seen?!

Categories: Frippery

1. Posted September 26, 2010 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

I am a huge fan of "father of the bride" totally loved the marquee attached the house and it looked totally amazing. Gone with the wind is one of my all time favourite films the dresses the staircase the gorgeous rhett butler if you're into your big dress moment (and we all are a bit) then this is the daddy of all! xx

2. Posted September 26, 2010 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

Janet and Brad from Rocky Horror Picture Show…

haha Only joking!

I like Father of the Bride too, it's a long time since I've watched it though. I may have to give it another viewing. I quite liked Ross and Emily's disaster of a wedding in Friends. I liked all the little tea-lights. Very cute.

Becca x

3. Posted September 27, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Hi ya

I have taken inspiration from the film Legend for my wedding, it's a bit of a dark fairytale but I love the style of it.

But I'm not having Tim Curry in a horned demon costume before you ask.

TattyboJ

4. Posted September 28, 2010 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Gosh I don't know… never been a bride girl or a disney princess girl. I was more a Heathers/Mermaids gal and I don't think there's a wedding in those? Might have to get back to you on this one!

5. Anna K
    Posted September 29, 2010 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

The wedding scene in Tristan&Isolde; where Isolde marries Lord Marke.

SMOULDERING. I wanted to be brought to the ceremony by a flaming boat at night, but sadly the London Borough of Camden weren't as accommodating as I'd hoped…

6. Anonymous
    Posted September 30, 2010 at 9:27 am | Permalink

I remember watching FAther of the Bride as a 10 year old and being absolutely convinced that was what my wedding would look like!
    I still love the film and the house looks amazing but I think I'd prefer something a little bit more simple now.
    I love the wedding at the end of 'Emma' starring Gwyneth Paltrow. Her dress is gorgeous but simple and the whole country parish type wedding seemsa so lovely.
    But there are so many wonderful movie weddings to choose from!